Happy Friday from the front porch. It’s a blessing to have you here. Thanks so much for making us a part of your day!
Every year I look forward to the purple pom-poms that dot the landscape of our yard and the rest of the island.
I have no idea what they’re called.
They must be a wildflower of some sort because there seems to be no rhyme or reason to the way they grow.
But after our hydrangeas fade, the roses die back, the crepe myrtles lose their blooms, and the goldenrod turns to a pale beige as if on cue, the purple pom-poms slowly begin to appear.
It feels like the biggest gift to have them on our property.
A beautiful promise from one season to the next that seems to say, “Despite all the ups and downs, the big changes and the little ones, I’m still here.”
The day my aunt found out she had cancer, she stood at the door of her doctor’s office holding hands with my uncle, gathering her thoughts.
A woman of powerful faith, she looked up at him with complete resolve and said, “No matter what the doctor tells us, He (Jesus) is already in the room. He’s gone before us. He knows the outcome. We will choose to put our trust in Him.”
Shortly after she shared this story with me, I started visualizing my aunt’s treatment rooms being expertly prepared for her, filled with strength, wisdom, love, light, and perfect peace before she walked through the door.
It seems like such a small thing, but to this day, it still brings me comfort.
Earlier this week, my cousin (her daughter) posted this sunrise on our family messaging thread, and it immediately stopped me in my tracks.
Not only because the capture was stunning, but also because it was another reminder on an ordinary day which seemed to say, “Despite all the ups and downs, the big changes and the little ones, I’m still here.”
No matter if you’ve had a hard week or a banner week, I hope you’re able to find hope in the beauty of nature and feel abundant love working through the hands and feet of those who have been placed on your path.
A Few of Our Favorite Posts from Around the Web this Week…
The views from Healdsburg House look amazing. Also, don’t miss the wine rack built-ins in the kitchen. Talk about a show stopper!
Loved the flowers Ashley chose for this post, Easy Flower Arrangement + Video they were really beautiful.
Speaking of beautiful, I can’t get over this tablescape. It’s stunning!
A House Finds Its Hero (I love when old homes get restored like this)
This DC Townhome is so pretty. Also, if you click the interiors tab and go to the holidays tab – it’s amazing too.
If you love a good before and after, you’re going to love this flip house tour.
There are so many cute Halloween party ideas on this new to me blog.
I can’t get over these faux caramel apples! They look SO REAL!
17 Self Care Tips You Can Start Today (and a beautiful reminder of the power of transformations from the inside out)
Words to Live By…
Do you have a system for cleaning bathrooms? My boys are ridiculously messy and I could use a shortcut.
I usually deep clean the bathrooms once a week. First, I spray down all the showers, the bathtub, sinks, and toilets with a scrubby cleaner so it can start working while I’m doing other tasks. Next, I clean all the mirrors, followed by all the sinks and the countertops. Then I do the bathtubs and showers before finishing up with the toilets and floors.
That way all the bathrooms get done at the same time.
We wipe out the sinks and wipe down the countertops daily. Dirty clothes and towels go into a basket each day as well so there’s nothing cluttering up the floor.
Keep in mind, you’ll want to check to make sure the cleaner you’re using is safe to leave on surfaces for an extended period of time prior to spraying everything down. Several types of tile, tubs, and countertops are extremely porous and you definitely don’t want to ruin them.
Finally, depending on your boys’ age, you can get them involved in the process too! They can easily be responsible for putting bath toys away, placing towels on hooks, dirty clothes in baskets, and their toothbrush/toothpaste back on the drawer.
Books of the Month…
**(Amazon Affiliate links have been provided for your convenience. Any sales made through such links will support us with a small commission at no extra cost for you. You can read our full disclosure policy here)
- October: Feels Like Home by Marian Parsons (Released October 12th) and On Purpose by Tanya Dalton (Released on October 26th)
- November: Cozy White Cottage Seasons: 100 Ways to Be Cozy All Year Long by Liz Marie Galvan
- December: Dream Big by Bob Goff
On the Menu this Week…
Week of October 10th – October 17th
- 10/10 Sunday: Crescent Roll Lasagna
- 10/11 Monday: Zucchini Stir Fry
- 10/12 Tuesday: Miss Mustard Seed’s Potato Corn Soup with Dill, field green salad, and a crusty loaf to celebrate the launch of Feels Like Home
- 10/13 Wednesday: Bacon Egg and Cheese Kale Salad
- 10/14 Thursday: Hatch Chile Enchilada Bake
- 10/15 Friday: Grilled BBQ Chicken Pizza Flatbread
- 10/16 Saturday: Sheet Pan Greek Shrimp Dinner
- 10/17 Sunday: Pork Chops in Creamy Mushroom Sauce
Sweet Treat to Try This Week…
A Few Fun Gift Basket and Stocking Stuffer Finds We Spotted Online at Amazon and Target This Week…
(Amazon and Target affiliate links have been provided for your convenience. Any sales made through such links will support us with a small commission at no extra cost for you. You can read our full disclosure policy here)
If You’ve Missed Anything from the Blog Recently or the Archives, Here’s a Peek At What We’ve Been Up To…
October Bucket List…
- Celebrate My Aunt’s Last Chemo Treatment
- Decorate the House for Halloween
- Carve a Pumpkin
- Bake a Loaf of Pumpkin Bread
- Try a New Seasonal Soup
- Buy a Costume for Piper
- Attend Halloween Party with the Pod
- Watch a Movie Outside
- Help Launch On Purpose and Feels Like Home
- Buy a Cable Knit Sweater
- Read the Book of the Month
- Keep Sundays Sacred
October Simplified and Organized Home Challenge…
Focus of the Month: Fall Planning & Seasonal Activities
- 10/02 Pet Cabinet and Supplies
- 10/09 Garage, Attic or Basement
- 10/16 Holiday Travel Plans
- 10/23 Seasonal and Holiday Decorative Items
- 10/30 Winter or Holiday Bucket List
TCG Housekeeping Notes, Dates to Remember and Upcoming Posts…
- 10/10 World Mental Health Day
- 10/13 National Take Your Parents to Lunch Day
- 10/15 National Mammography Day
- 10/16 National Sweetest Day
- 10/20 Chicken and Waffles Day
- 10/22 National Make a Dog’s Day
- 10/23 National Make a Difference Day
- 10/26 National Pumpkin Day
- 10/29 National Cat Day
- 10/31 Halloween
As always, we appreciate you more than you could ever know, and we hope your weekend is peace-filled and relaxing. We can’t wait to share even more with you next week!