Over the weekend we had the pleasure of watching our niece in her winter spectacular dance recital. It’s something we look forward to every year because she works really hard practicing her routines in the weeks and months leading up to the event.
As always, she did a fabulous job, and we couldn’t wait to celebrate her success.
But when she came out of the dressing room with an armful of flowers wearing sunglasses and full stage makeup, we knew immediately something was wrong.
Wanting to give her plenty of time and grace to compose herself, we talked amongst ourselves as she had a heart-to-heart with her parents.
I have no idea what they said but there was a lot of hugging and a lot of support with phrases like…”it’s ok”… “you did great” and “i’m proud of you.”
When she finally joined the group, you could tell whatever had happened was still bothering her. Despite our best efforts to cheer her up on the walk to dinner, she was quietly replaying the events of the night in her mind.
Over dinner, she confided she thought she had messed up during one of the dance performances yet not one of the 12 people in our pod saw a single misstep, stumble, or fall.
Still, she was convinced she had not given her best, even though she had practiced and planned for months.
The entire episode reminded me just how hard we can be on ourselves. Especially, this time of year…
A missed birthday call in the middle of a hectic week…forgetting to bring presents to a Christmas luncheon…our homes not feeling holiday perfect and secretly wanting to cancel hosting plans…stressing out over gift ideas for teachers, neighbors, friends, and loved ones…not posting content because it doesn’t feel Pinterest worthy or promotable on IG…getting caught up in the “shoulds” of obligations instead of letting them go in favor of “get to’s or want to’s”…picking up a cold, flu, or sinus bug and limping along instead of giving ourselves the gift of proper rest…or feeling so overwhelmed and behind, we fail to take action at all because we don’t even where to begin…
There are a million and one ways we can sabotage our holiday spirit by getting caught up in our own thoughts. It’s something I’ve struggled with for YEARS.
But it wasn’t until I watched my niece battle to reconcile her own expectations, I realized just how innocently it all starts.
My hope for us this Christmas season is we’ll not only be able to extend grace to ourselves but also to others. There will be plenty of things that work out exactly as planned. Yet there will also be times, we just have to breathe it out, ride the wave and go with the flow.
While it might not be easy, the view from the top (and the stage) is definitely worth the extra effort!
Tulip Design Co Discount Code…
In case you missed it last week, my sweet and talented friend Jennifer of Tulip Design Co and I have been collaborating on some sponsored posts over on Instagram.
I love her cards, notepads, calendar, and stickers so much, I’ve decided to share them over on the blog too!
In addition to giving a portion of her profits to organizations that educate and empower women and girls in the US and around the world, Jennifer has also graciously and exclusively given The Crowned Goat readers 30% off a 1-time purchase good from December 10, 2021, through January 1, 2022, using the code: TCGBONUS.
She also still has the “12 Days of Giving” going on until December 12, 2021, as well, so be sure to check out all the fabulous goodies in her shop!
A Few of Our Favorite Posts from Around the Web this Week…
The pops of red in this holiday home tour are really beautiful!
Loved the European vibe of this holiday home tour too!
I would never have thought to create a European Fireplace Village, but I love this one!
This is such a pretty way to dress up a staircase and foyer area for Christmas.
Wait until you see the living room and mantel in this holiday home tour – seriously so stunning!
Speaking of stunning, have you seen the ribbon on this winter wonderland tree yet?
I can’t remember if I shared these cedar and orange slice topiaries already but they’re totally fabulous!
This blew my mind this week – so simple, so creative, so pretty!
This sweater garland is super cute and comes with a free printable too!
Other Christmas and Holiday Home Tours to Enjoy:
- Jennifer Rizzo’s 11th Annual Holiday Housewalk (Tour starts at Day 1)
- 11 Magnolia Lane + Evolution of Style Holiday Home Tour (Tour starts at Day 1)
- Bloggers Best Holiday Home Tour (Tour starts at Part 1)
- 2021 Christmas Home Tour (Tour starts at Day 1)
Words to Live By…
You always seem so organized. What can I do this Christmas to help me with next Christmas?
This is such a great question!
The last week of November and the first week or two of December are filled with TONS of holiday home tours. It’s basically like the Super Bowl of blogging.
Every December, I start collecting fresh inspiration on a private Pinterest board dedicated solely to the ideas or color schemes I want to try next year.
Having a plan in advance also makes packing up ornaments and holiday home decor accessories super easy because you’ll know what color to leave on top of the box pile for next year.
In that same vein, you can also bookmark the gift guides you loved or found most helpful. Then use them to get a head start on birthdays, special occasions gifts or to start collecting ideas for next Christmas.
On the Menu this Week…
Week of December 12th – December 19th
- 12/12 Sunday – Thai Shrimp Noodles
- 12/13 Monday – Sheet Pan Breakfast Bowls
- 12/14 Tuesday – Vegetarian Mexican Lasagna
- 12/15 Wednesday – White Bean and Veggies Salad
- 12/16 Thursday – Flu Season Soup
- 12/17 Friday – Bavarian Apple Sausage Skillet
- 12/18 Saturday – Baked Garlic Parmesan Chicken, Loaded Baked Potato Casserole, and Roasted Veggies
- 12/19 Sunday – Three Cheese Turkey Manicotti
Christmas Menu Ideas:
- Christmas Menu Ideas and Recipes (including apps and desserts)
- 60 Creative Christmas Ideas That Will Steal The Show
- 15 Make-Ahead Christmas Breakfast Ideas
- Can’t Miss Holiday Cookie Ideas (some of these cookies are almost too pretty to eat)
Sweet Treat to Try This Week…
Chocolate Peppermint No-Bake Tart (I’m shocked this is no-bake – it looks amazing)
A Few Relaxing Finds We Spotted Online at Amazon and Target This Week…
(Amazon and Target affiliate links have been provided for your convenience. As an Amazon and Impact Media Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Any sales made through such links will support us with a small commission at no extra cost for you. You can read our full disclosure policy here)
If You’ve Missed Anything from the Blog Recently or the Archives, Here’s a Peek At What We’ve Been Up To…
A Little Sparkle Holiday Home Tour and Blog Hop (Thank you SO much for all your kind words and encouragement on this post)
2021 Holiday Gift Guide (featuring 160 ideas!)
December Bucket List…
- Observe Advent
- Celebrate December Birthdays and Anniversaries
- Donate to the Sweater Drive
- Attend Dance and Piano Recitals and Cheer on The Littles
- Sip Cocoa at The Lights Festival
- Christmas Lunch with Extended Family at The Farm
- Celebrate Christmas with The Pod at Bliss Barracks
- Leave Cookies and Milk for Santa and Veggies for the Reindeer
- Relax at the Cabin and Enjoy a Holiday Vacation
- Hike Trails on the AT
- Bundle Up by the Firepit
- Make Christmas Fettuccine and Watch The Holiday
- Attend Zoom Call with MMS
- Set Goals, Dreams, and Intentions for 2022
- Create a Vision Board for 2022
- Celebrate New Year’s Eve and Midnight Gift Exchange
- Read the Book of the Month
- Keep Sundays Sacred
December Simplified and Organized Home Challenge…
Focus of the Month: Holiday Planning & Preparing for the New Year
- 12/04 – Mail Christmas Packages
- 12/11 – Finalize Christmas Menu & Grocery List
- 12/18 – Purchase New Planner & Set Goals for the New Year
- 12/26 – Organize Holiday Storage Items
TCG Housekeeping Notes, Dates to Remember, and Upcoming Posts…
- 12/12 Third Week of Advent: Love
- 12/13 National Cocoa Day
- 12/15 Traditional Christmas Home Tour at Bliss Barracks & Blog Hop
- 12/15 Shipping Deadline for Christmas Ground Delivery
- 12/17 The Crowned Goat Holiday Break Begins*
- 12/18 National Wreaths Across America Day
- 12/19 Fourth Week of Advent: Joy
- 12/24 Christmas Eve
- 12/25 Christmas Day
- 12/26 Boxing Day
- 12/26 Kwanzaa Begins
- 12/31 New Year’s Eve
The 3rd week of December is always the week that Christmas chews us up and spits us out because our schedule is BANANAS!
So, before we leave for the holiday break, we’re devoting our posts next week to a last-minute gift idea inspired by a reader question, prepping for holiday guests with a super cute reindeer gift basket, my parent’s traditional Christmas home tour at Bliss Barracks as part of a fun anniversary blog hop.
As always, we appreciate you more than you could ever know, and we hope your weekend is peace-filled and relaxing. We can’t wait to share even more with you next week!