I’m so excited to share this thrifted ottoman makeover with you guys today. Let me just tell ya, it was a total DOOZIE! A big thank you to my sweet friend and fellow creative, Kendra of Joy in Our Home for putting together this blog hop.
This ottoman has been hanging out in my garage for about 2 years waiting to be worked on. That’s right, 2 years! It was a great price when I scooped it up. At the time, I thought it would be a fun upholstery project. I’ve worked to upholster dining room chairs over the years but this was the first ottoman I’ve ever completed. As soon as Kendra asked me to join this blog hop, I knew it would be the perfect nudge to actually finish the makeover. It’s been so long I couldn’t find a picture but here’s a look at the fabric the day I brought it home…sort of redish/burgundy-ish with goldish embroidery.
You see, I thought I could paint over the existing fabric and oh my word that was an epic fail. I can’t even talk about it, you guys, what can I say…take 2.
The first step was to remove about 200 individual upholstery tacks. It took hours! I was seriously like what in the world have I gotten myself into! Seriously, if you guys decide to do this use caution and care as tacks are sharp.
Then I took out the buttons and tufting. If we didn’t have multiple pets and frequently visiting littles, I probably could have made the tufting work. I just know from experience tufted furniture can be hard to keep clean.
Once the old fabric was removed, I decided to use a medium-weight quilt to help cover the tufting holes and to provide a bit more cushion/stability to the ottoman in addition to keeping the existing batting.
We used an upholstery stapler and staples to secure the quilt in place.
Here’s a look at the ottoman once the quilt had been completely secured.
For the top of the ottoman, I chose a pale gray/linen colored nubby fabric I picked up at a church tag sale a few months ago. The fabric is both neutral and textured which makes it easy to use in almost any room.
We also used an upholstery stapler to secure this piece into place too.
The corners took a bit of finessing…
so did the legs.
Here’s a look at the ottoman once we finished the nubby fabric layer.
There was NO WAY I was going to replace all of those upholstery tacks again so I was elated to find gray trim and Liquid Stitch at Hobby Lobby.
I love the way the neutrals pair together.
At this point, I was thinking “woo hoo, I finally finished this thing!” but I don’t know…there was something about those legs…they just looked too new to me.
So, I haphazardly painted the legs with General Finished Milk Paint in Snow White
then used wet sand paper to rough them up a bit.
This ottoman is about a little over 9 square feet which is bigger than our coffee table.
I haven’t decided if I’m going to put this in the store or not. I’m definitely attached to it…
and I totally can’t believe I left this thing in the garage for 2 years!
Be sure to check out all of the other projects from your favorite bloggers. These great ladies are all part of the Thrifted Finds Makeover Blog Hop too…
I’m always excited to hear from you guys so let’s keep in touch. For more of life behind the blog, I’ll see you on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram. Until then, I’ll see you back here tomorrow with another fun post!