Sliding into your inbox a little early this week as we’re visiting family and the internet has been touch and go.
I don’t know if it’s that we finally laid Her Majesty The Queen to rest on Monday or if it’s the milestone birthday we’re set to celebrate this weekend but I’ve been thinking about the power of legacy a lot lately.
Years ago when I was just out of graduate school, I worked for a prominent psychologist. He had partnered with several inner-city schools to help bring behavioral health and counseling services to underserved kids.
It was a tough job but being able to be part of those kids’ lives every day was amazing.
One morning, I saw the school janitor walking toward my car. “It would be my pleasure to escort you to your office today,” he said with a kind smile.
As we walked across the parking lot, we lightheartedly talked about how our weekends had been.
But when we arrived at the entrance of the school his demeanor grew serious and I could sense something was wrong immediately.
“Your office was shot up last night,” he gently said. “We’ve repaired all we can and I’m real sorry this happened. We know you’re here for the kids and we can tell how much you care about them. Me and the other janitor have been talking and we’re gonna walk you to and from your car every day. Ok?”
Honestly, it was a lot to process in the moment. So, I graciously thanked him for his offer and began working as if it were just another day.
True to their word, the janitors met me at my car each morning and kindly walked me back again each afternoon.
When I decided to transition out of the school setting into the hospital setting, I could barely choke back the tears when I hugged them bye.
“You have no idea how much your generosity has meant to me this past year. Every day, your light has been a gift and I will never forget you,” I said.
It’s been years since I’ve seen either one of those men, but I think about how much courage and compassion it must have taken to walk beside me each day.
Through that experience, I learned you don’t have to be a beloved queen, a famous president, a rock star, a million-dollar CEO, a philanthropist, or a brave janitor to leave a lasting legacy.
Whether you realize it or not, you’re living out your legacy with every decision you make, right now.
It’s not too late to leave behind something you can truly be proud of.
A Few of Our Favorite Things from Around the Web This Week…
This was such a beautiful tribute and a look back on her life throughout the decades (get your tissues ready Mom!)
100 of the Best Outfits Worn by Her Majesty The Queen (there are so many fabulous pieces in this post)
YES to everything in this French farmhouse.
Can you imagine living in this fairytale cottage?
This Greek Revival Harbor House has such a beautiful view.
This farmhouse fixer-upper has so many beautiful features.
Butcher Block Countertops and Floating Shelves with Leanne Ford
This post is full of gorgeous fall container garden inspiration!
Rachel decorated her screened-in porch for Fall. There are lots of fantastic ideas but don’t miss her tree. It’s super creative!
We kicked off football season with these 5 Easy Tips for Hosting a Backyard Tailgate from Jen and they’re all totally doable!
These DIY Painted Ballet Flats are super cute!
There are so many things to love in The Paris Dress Edit!
Words to Live By…
Third Quarter Books of the Month and Devotional…
(Amazon affiliate links have been provided for your convenience. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Any sales made through such links will support us with a small commission at no extra cost to you. You can read our full disclosure policy here)
- July: How Are You, Really? by Jenna Kutcher
- August: Minimalista: Your Step-by-Step Guide to a Better Home, Wardrobe, and Life by Shira Gill
- September: A More Beautiful Life: A Simple Five-Step Approach to Living Balanced Goals with HEART by Whitney English
- Devotional: Courageous Joy: Delight in God in Every Season by (in)courage
October’s Book of the Month (if you’re ordering early)…
On the Menu this Week…
- 09/25 Sunday: Eggplant Casserole
- 09/26 Monday: Cranberry Rosemary One Pan Chicken
- 9/27 Tuesday: Sheet Pan Nachos (we’ll be subbing chicken for turkey but you could do beef too)
- 09/28 Wednesday: Roasted Sweet Potato, Pear, & Pomegranate Spinach Salad
- 09/29 Thursday: Tuscan White Bean Soup
- 09/30 Friday: Cheesy Chicken and Rice Casserole
- 10/01 Saturday: Autumnal Charcuterie Board
- 10/02 Sunday: Slow Cooker Red Wine Sunday Ragu Pasta
Sweet Treat to Try This Week…
Pink and Pastel Inspired Finds We Spotted Online at Amazon This Week…
(Amazon and Target affiliate links have been provided for your convenience. As an Amazon and Impact Media Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Any sales made through such links will support us with a small commission at no extra cost to you. You can read our full disclosure policy here)
**I know this looks like a lot of pink but most of these items come in additional colors
If You’ve Missed Anything from the Blog Recently or the Archives, Here’s a Peek At What We’ve Been Up To…
The Last 100 Days… (a reader favorite Encouragement of the Month post)
September Bucket List…
- Celebrate September Birthdays and Special Occasion Events
- Celebrate Labor Day with Shrimp Rolls
- Fly the Flag for Patriot’s Day
- Pick Apples While at the Cabin
- Grab a PSL at Starbucks
- Create a Fall Bucket List
- Decorate the House for Fall
- Decorate the Porch for Fall
- Make a Courageous Choice Daily (even if it’s a micro one)
- Read the Book of the Month
- Keep Sundays Sacred
September Simplified and Organized Home Challenge…
Focus of the Month: Fall Planning and Seasonal Activities
- 09/03 Create Fall Bucket List
- 09/10 Transition Seasonal Items into Closets (coats, sweaters, ski gear, sports equipment)
- 09/17 Order or Purchase New Planner or Calendar
- 09/24 Review Family Holiday Calendar & Set Family Doctor Appointments
TCG Housekeeping Notes, Dates to Remember, and Upcoming Posts…
- 09/23 Native American Day
- 09/23 National Pot Pie Day
- 09/25 National Daughters Day
- 09/25 Rosh Hashanah
- 09/26 National Pancake Day
- 09/26 Love Note Day
- 09/29 National Coffee and National Starbucks Day
As always, we appreciate you more than you could ever know, and we hope the rest of your week is peace-filled and relaxing!Until next time, I’ll see you on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest.