Happy Friday from the front porch, sweet friends. It’s a pleasure to share the last post of 2022 with you today. I’m so grateful to have you here!
The week between Christmas and New Year’s is always my favorite week of the entire year.
It doesn’t matter if we’re at the cabin, at Bliss Barracks, Loblolly, or at Journey’s End, it’s the one week of the year we have the freedom to slow down after a delightful and somewhat demanding holiday season.
It gives us a chance to curl up with good books, linger over brunch, write fresh goals in our calendars, take in the wonders of some of our favorite places, and to be with some of our favorite people.
On Christmas morning, I stood in the pass between the kitchen and the living room at Bliss Barracks.
We were all dressed in our red plaid pajamas. My Dad was in the kitchen baking cinnamon rolls while the littles were picking up the brightly colored wrapping paper that littered the floor.
My Mom and sisters were snuggled up together on the couch under the same blanket with generous mugs of coffee, their faces softly lit as the fireplace roared and the lights twinkled on the tree.
It was such a simple moment.
But the magic of that moment surprisingly caught me off guard and I found myself struggling to fight back tears.
I thought about how we had battled a broken water and sewer pipe less than 24 hours before, how I had been up since 4 am cooking bacon, breakfast casseroles, and biscuits, and how sore throats, stuffy noses, aches, and chills seemed to have finally made their way downstairs.
Yet despite the ups and downs, it had all worked out ok.
“What do you think of this?” my Dad said as he handed me a spoon full of frosting surveying the Christmas chaos.
“I think it’s perfect,” I said, “I wouldn’t change a thing.”
He grinned back at me and said, “Me either,” and for just a moment we stood there soaking up the lively scene.
As we march into the New Year, I hope you’re able to still feel the magic of the season all around you.
I know that might be easier said than done if you’ve survived the bomb cyclone or dealt with travel delays.
When you look back on everything you’ve been through this Christmas and this year though, I hope you’re able to revel in the small moments that made it all worthwhile.
Those perfectly imperfect tender moments when love showed up at exactly the time you needed it most and quietly whispered, “I got you.”
Thank you for being part of this community and for showing up with your love, kind words, and generous support.
You mean the world to me!
May your year be richly blessed with good health and all your favorite things.
A Few of Our Favorite Things from Around the Web…
This former bank turned stately home is amazing!
This modern equestrian bedroom is so cozy.
Speaking of cozy, have you seen this lake house tour yet?
What about this Montana guest house?
Bookmarking this idea for next year.
Losing it in the best possible way over these notecards!
This was a great post on how to style leggings
Words to Live By…
On the Menu this Week…
- 12/31 Saturday: 50 New Year’s Eve Dinner Ideas to Deliciously Welcome a New Year
- 01/01 Sunday: A Traditional Southern New Year’s Day Menu (on a side note, we always have macaroni and cheese to represent gold which for some reason didn’t make the list)
- 01/02 Monday: Rainbow Buddha Bowl with Cashew Tahini Sauce
- 01/03 Tuesday: Slow Cooker Cheesy Mexican Quinoa Casserole with Everyday Mexican Salad
- 01/04 Wednesday: New Year’s Detox Salad
- 01/05 Thursday: The Best Detox Crockpot Lentil Soup
- 01/06 Friday: Spicy Fish Stew
- 01/07 Saturday: Baked Chicken with Unstuffed Mushroom Casserole and green beans
- 01/08 Sunday: Homemade Lasagna with an Italian side salad and crusty loaf.
*You can see our entire January Menu below.
Sweet Treat to Try This Week…
Luscious Lemon Cream Tart (Low Carb, Keto)
Healthy Start Inspired Finds We Spotted Online at Amazon This Week…
(Amazon affiliate links have been provided for your convenience. As an Amazon and Impact Media Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Any sales made through such links will support us with a small commission at no extra cost to you. You can read our full disclosure policy here)
If You’ve Missed Anything from the Blog Recently or the Archives, Here’s a Peek At What We’ve Been Up To…
January Bucket List…
- Do All Our Favorite Things on New Year’s Day
- Celebrate Birthday Week with Mom
- Continue 6-Minute Journal
- Continue Skincare Routine
- Eat Greens with Every Meal
- Drink Water Before Coffee
- Create a Cozy Winter Home
- Continue Morning Devotional
- Reestablish Morning & Nightly Routines
- Transition to Afternoon Workout Routine
- Plan Valentine’s Day Activities
- Read the Book of the Month
- Keep Sundays Sacred
January Simplified and Organized Home Challenge…
Focus of the Month: Your Health-Wellness Routines & Home-Keeping Systems
- 01/01 Morning Routine & Workout Routine
- 01/08 Nightly Routine with 15 Minute Clutter Catcher
- 01/15 Cleaning Schedule
- 01/22 Meal Planning & Grocery Shopping
- 01/29 Organize Pantry & Spices
TCG Housekeeping Notes, Dates to Remember, and Upcoming Posts…
- 01/01 New Year’s Day
- 01/01 Buy January Birthday & Special Occasion Cards and Gifts
- 01/02 World Introvert Day
- 01/08 National Bubble Bath Day
- 01/14 Buy Valentines Cards, Gifts & Countdown Calendar Supplies
- 01/16 National Use Your Gift Card Day
- 01/17 Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- 01/23 National Pie Day
- 01/24 National Compliment Day
- 01/25 National Plan for Vacation Day
- 01/26 National Green Juice Day
- 01/27 National Chocolate Cake Day
- 01/31 National Hot Chocolate Day
As always, we appreciate you more than you could ever know, and we hope your weekend is peace-filled and relaxing. We can’t wait to share even more with you next week!