When January found me selling me out of almost every piece of painted furniture I had in the booth I knew I needed to make some changes about the way I kept the booth stocked. Since I don’t have a huge truck or trailer to go to auctions or estate sales and load up on multiple pieces of furniture at once, I asked S to build me a display unit that I could leave in my booth on a permanent basis.
If you’re thinking, “Wow, Coco, you’re space is only a 10 x 10 I can’t believe you’d give up all that real estate,” you’d be right. I did have several moments pause about putting a display unit in there that would not be for sale. But after a few weeks of not being able to find the furniture pieces I needed at reasonable prices to restock completely, I’ve realized I’ve made the best decision for my space.
While S was turning this
I was busy painting the bookcase I found last week in Valspar’s Sea Salt.
The table that’s going to hold the bookcase is 64 inches long and although we had to start out with new wood
I wanted the top of the table to have a weathered look. This is after one coat of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in French Linen. Sorry the photos are so dark, this was taken as the sun was going down.
I love the way the two colors pair together.
The next day I decided to dry brush a coat of French Linen onto the skirt of the table.
After the paint was dry, I sanded the skirt with 220-grit sandpaper.
Next, I added a layer of dark wax and buffed with a lint free cloth.
By this time, I really had no idea how the final display piece would turn out. Last Monday night we loaded it up in two separate vehicles and I didn’t see it all put together until the following day. This is a shot of the finished table in the booth. I’m so glad we added that bottom shelf to hold baskets and larger inventory items.
When we finally placed the bookcase on top of the table S built I was so excited. I felt like I needed a back for the bookcase because there is another booth behind me. Given that I only have one wall in my space and there is a large mirror and two large windows on that wall, I’ve been virtually building walls with furniture for over a year now. Since the bookcase is 52 inches across putting wood on the back would have made it really heavy and expensive. So in the end, I chose a canvas drop cloth and stapled it to the back of the bookcase. I wasn’t sure about it at first but it will be a great option if I ever decide to change out the fabric or decide to add wood later.
These are the kinds of pieces that take a lot of behind the scenes work but in the end, they’re worth the time. I now have plenty of room to display new inventory and create seasonal vignettes.
See you guys back here tomorrow. I’ve been working in the booth all week and things are finally coming together.