A few weeks ago, my middle sister and brother-in-law were talking to their kids about failure.
Over dinner, everyone gathered around the table and took turns sharing what failure meant to them, various ways to rise above failure, and how we each get to decide in what way we’ll respond to failure.
By the time they got to my youngest nephew who turned 7 in late February, they were knee-deep in life lesson mode.
“Have you ever experienced failure?” my sister asked
“No,” he said nonchalantly.
“You haven’t?” she asked again thinking he might need some extra time to come up with something.
“I haven’t, Mom. You know, why? Because I’ve learned from all my mistakes,” he said proudly.
My sister and I were laughing so hard the next day because she said, “What I am supposed to say to that, it’s so true!”
Despite working with hundreds of kids and families during graduate school and in my counseling career, I’ll never pretend to understand all the ins and outs of what it takes to show up every day and be a good parent.
I know for sure both my sisters are good people and amazing mothers though. They are raising a future we can all be proud of.
They had a great example because our mom is deeply treasured as was her mom, my granny, and all the aunts who poured into us nearly every day my dad was away.
It wasn’t easy but they made it work and we’re a living example of their legacy.
I know this weekend is a hard one for some of you. Those of you who have lost your moms through death, illness, addiction, or are not reconciled yet for whatever reason.
Those of you who never had the opportunity to have kids and others who have angel babies or grown babies waiting on them in heaven.
Please know you are not forgotten.
Every time you pour into someone else and choose to give your best, you are creating your own legacy and nurturing the future.
Your work is important, and we need each other now more than ever.
To my mom who will always be my first and last valentine, Happy Mother’s Day.
To my sisters who rock my world on the daily, I love you. Thank you for giving me a niece and nephews who teach me to look at the world with hope. Our lives have been richly blessed because they’re a part of our pod.
And to all of you who share your best by supporting and encouraging this community and the communities you hold most dear, may love show up this weekend exactly when you need it most.
Happy Mother’s Day ❤
A Few of Our Favorite Things from Around the Web This Week…
LOVED seeing Tina’s home featured in Victoria Magazine it’s seriously stunning!
Wait until you see this Garden Cottage Tour from Alice Lane Interior Design.
Losing my mind in the best possible way over these gorgeous return address labels!
There are so many beautiful ways to celebrate Spring and Summer with these tea party ideas from my friend Jen of Midwest Life and Style
Leave it to Rachel of The Ponds Farmhouse to come up with 9 DIY Greenhouse Décor Ideas (they’re all fabulous)
Have you seen this wax pine dresser from Anna at Sky Lark House yet? It’s gorgeous!
These Parmesan Rosemary Shortbread Crackers from my friend Michele at Vintage Home Designs are almost too pretty to eat!
3 Reasons Your Mess Makes You a Great Mama (you don’t have to be a mom to appreciate this post, it’s a good one)
The Best Life Advice I’ve Ever Received from My Mom (this is filled with so many golden nuggets of wisdom)
Words to Live By…
Second Quarter Books of the Month and Devotional…
(Amazon affiliate links have been provided for your convenience. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Any sales made through such links will support us with a small commission at no extra cost to you. You can read our full disclosure policy here)
- April – The Gift of Home: Beauty and Inspiration to Make Every Space a Special Place by Bre Doucette (Reading this book made me want to run to the market for fresh flowers each week, the arrangements are all so pretty)
- May – The Power to Bless – Speaking Life into Those You Love by Alan Right (excited to dive into this book)
- June – Lessons from Madame Chic: 20 Stylish Secrets I Learned While Living in Paris by Jennifer L Scott (Jennifer recently announced fresh copies are currently being reprinted if you’re having a hard time finding it)
- Courageous Simplicity: Abide in the Simple Abundance of Jesus (Week 3? Convicted me in so many ways!)
On the Menu this Week…
Week of May 8th – May 15th
- 05/08 Sunday: Mother’s Day – 100 Mother’s Day Recipe Ideas
- 05/09 Monday: Maple Walnut Crusted Salmon with broccoli and sweet potato
- 05/10 Tuesday: 5 Ingredient Green Chicken Chile Enchiladas
- 05/11 Wednesday: Mexican Papaya Salad
- 05/12 Thursday: Italian Bean Soup
- 05/13 Friday: Kitchen Sink Thai Fried Rice (we’ll be loading ours up with lots of veggies)
- 05/14 Saturday: One Skillet French Onion Tater Tot Casserole
- 05/15 Sunday: Bolognese Baked Tortellini
Sweet Treat to Try This Week…
Lemon Ice Box Pie (I’m so excited to try Carol’s recipe. Lemons always feel like the perfect spring to summer treat)
Coastal Grandma Blue and White Finds We Spotted Online at Amazon and Target This Week…
(Amazon and Target affiliate links have been provided for your convenience. As an Amazon Associate and an Impact Media Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Any sales made through such links will support us with a small commission at no extra cost to you. You can read our full disclosure policy here)
*A lot of these items come in other colors too!
If You’ve Missed Anything from the Blog Recently or the Archives, Here’s a Peek At What We’ve Been Up To…
May Bucket List…
- Celebrate May Day, Cinco de Mayo, Derby Day, Mother’s Day, Memorial Day, and AM’s 1-Year Cancer Anniversary
- Buy a New Sundress (for the love, get over your arms, CoCo 😂)
- Make Homemade Ice Cream
- Sunset Picnic at the Beach
- Look for Fireflies
- Buy Piper a Swimming Pool
- Continue Quarter Challenge in Q2
- Establish Exercise Plan to Strengthen Core
- Begin the Miracle Month with Carrie Green Challenge
- Organize and Finish the Laundry Room Makeover
- Continue Morning Pages
- Read the Book of the Month
- Continue Q2 Devotion
- Keep Sundays Sacred
May Simplified and Organized Home Challenge…
Focus of the Month: Shared and Common Areas
- 05/07 – Organize Household Books & Magazines
- 05/14 – Home Office or Guest Room
- 05/21 – Home Office or Guest Room Closet & Drawers
- 05/28 – Create Summer Bucket List
TCG Housekeeping Notes, Dates to Remember, and Upcoming Posts…
- 05/07 – Kentucky Derby
- 05/08 – Mother’s Day
- 05/14 – National Dog Mom’s Day
- 05/20 – National Rescue Dog Day
- 05/30 – Memorial Day, National Creativity Day
As always, we appreciate you more than you could ever know, and we hope your weekend is peace-filled and relaxing. We can’t wait to share even more with you next week!