Happy Friday from the front porch, sweet friends! We’re excited to have you here and appreciate you making us a part of your day.
I’ve taken most of the week to start implementing the strategies I learned at the Global Leadership Summit this week, and it’s been so helpful!
The theme of the summit was Voice Your Vision for a Better Future and nearly every speaker had a message surrounding what it means to be an effective leader and how to give life to your vision.
We took a ton of notes so I wanted to share a few of our favorite takeaways in case you didn’t have a chance to attend…
- “The essence of great leadership is choosing what not to do.” ~Craig Groeschel
- “You can’t connect on autopilot.” ~ Vanessa Van Edwards
- “There is a place for each of us and our purpose in life is to figure that place out.” ~Sahar Hashemi
- “It’s time to take the random out of random acts of kindness.” ~Johnny C. Taylor, Jr
- “Forgiveness is freedom. When you hold onto a grudge you are the one carrying the weight.” ~Deb Lui
- “You lead to the level you live, not the level you look.” Judah Smith
- “Notice then shift. ‘I’m not good at this.’ (notice) ‘I’m not good at this yet.’ (shift)” ~Dr. Heidi Grant
- “Reflect to see what rises to the top.” ~ Ron Howard
- “Great thoughts lead to great actions and great actions lead to great results.” ~Jon Acuff
- “Who will you be for those you serve, love and lead?” ~Stephanie Chung
- “Status quo is not a winning strategy.” ~ Bob Iger
- “Actions speak louder than words but your reaction speaks louder than either.” ~ Andy Stanley
Even though the summit ended last week, I’m still thinking about the common threads of leadership we all possess.
One is just how important it is to ask better questions of ourselves and the people we interact with each day which we learned from Vanessa Van Edwards.
Her presentation was one of my favorites!
She shared how better communication begins at home and how asking deeper questions can allow us to truly see ourselves and each other.
One of my new go-to questions is asking “What was the highlight of your day?”
The other theme nearly every speaker conveyed is how we’re all leaders, even if we’re not CEOs, entrepreneurs, or business owners.
And how leadership doesn’t just happen in the workplace.
It happens at the park with our littles, in the car with our teenagers, during mealtime, at the coffee shop, at the grocery store, at the airport, in small groups, at church, in jail cells, during book club, in the school pick-up line, at the senior living home, in the hospital, at the pharmacy, the gas station, your favorite store, a local boutique and more.
So, the next time you think your words and actions don’t matter as much as a CEO of Disney, an award-winning actor/director, a trailblazer in private aviation, a best-selling author, tech guru, multi-million dollar coffee entrepreneur, a social scientist, a pastor, a boss, or a billionaire, think again.
Almost every speaker shared how the divine intervention of one person with one kind word of encouragement, wisdom, or confidence, empowered them to take the next step.
And that one step changed everything.
A Few of Our Favorite Things From Around the Web This Week…
If you love period homes, you’ll adore this portfolio.
I pinned so many pictures from this post, Rustic French Country Farmhouse Home Tour
All the details in this home are really beautiful, but the kitchen stole my heart immediately.
How pretty is this design library?
This walled garden is stunning! I would love to do something similar at Journeys End or Loblolly.
Loved the simple elegance of this midsummer tablescape.
Speaking of tablescapes, I’m loving Rachel’s fall inspiration.
This looks like the best way to celebrate the end of summer!
Adding these to my weekend baking list!
I’ve never heard of this before but I’m excited to try it.
Have you seen this collection at Dillards from Mrs. Southern Social yet?
Words to Live By…
Third Quarter Books of the Month and Devotional…
(Amazon affiliate links have been provided for your convenience. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Any sales made through such links will support us with a small commission at no extra cost to you. You can read our full disclosure policy here)
- July: How Are You, Really? by Jenna Kutcher (This book will encourage and challenge you to ask deeper questions for more meaningful relationships)
- August: Minimalista: Your Step-by-Step Guide to a Better Home, Wardrobe, and Life by Shira Gill (This book has given me the confidence to live with only the things I love most)
- September: A More Beautiful Life: A Simple Five-Step Approach to Living Balanced Goals with HEART by Whitney English
- Devotional: Courageous Joy: Delight in God in Every Season by (in)courage (This book is teaching me the words “choose joy” are not just cliche signs we see in big box stores)
On the Menu this Week…
Week of August 14th – August 21st
- 08/14 Sunday: Chicken Pot Pie with Bacon and Cheddar Biscuits
- 08/15 Monday: Cabbage Stir Fry
- 08/16 Tuesday: Spicy Shrimp Tacos with Creamy Sriracha Sauce & Cilantro Lime Slaw
- 08/17 Wednesday: Summer Grilled Chicken Power Salad
- 08/18 Thursday: Swiss Chard Bean Soup
- 08/19 Friday: Baked Potato Dinner Board
- 08/20 Saturday: 4 Ingredient Pesto Rigatoni
- 08/21 Sunday: Rosemary Peach Chicken in White Wine Pan Sauce with steamed veggies
Sweet Treat to Try This Week…
Inspired Finds We Spotted Online at Amazon and Target This Week…
(Amazon and Target affiliate links have been provided for your convenience. As an Amazon and Impact Media Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Any sales made through such links will support us with a small commission at no extra cost to you. You can read our full disclosure policy here)
If You’ve Missed Anything from the Blog Recently or the Archives, Here’s a Peek At What We’ve Been Up To…
August Bucket List…
- Celebrate August Birthdays and Grandparent Anniversaries
- Back to School Event for the Littles
- Pick up Fresh Office Supplies
- Find Easy Breakfast Recipes
- Celebrate Living at Journeys End 13 years
- Attend Global Leadership Summit Retreat at Bliss Barracks
- Design 2023 Planner and Blog Notebook
- Organize the Refrigerator, Desk Drawers, and Kitchen Drawers
- Check Hurricane Kits
- Confirm Fall Travel Plans
- Continue Quarter Challenge
- Try New IG Strategy
- Read the Book of the Month
- Keep Sundays Sacred
August Simplified and Organized Home Challenge…
Focus of the Month: Car, Garden, & Garage
- 08/06 – Medicine Cabinet & First Aid Supplies/Emergency Contact List
- 08/13 – Garage, Attic, or Basement
- 08/20 – Garden Supplies/Potting Shed
- 08/27 – Seasonal Decorative Items-Fall
TCG Housekeeping Notes, Dates to Remember, and Upcoming Posts…
- 08/12 – National Middle Child Day
- 08/13 – Lifestyle of Love Blog Hop (**see you in your inbox tomorrow TCG friends!)
- 08/13 – International Lefthanders Day
- 08/15 – Check the Chip Day
- 08/17 – National Thrift Store Day
- 08/19 – Summer to Fall Sunflower Blog Hop
- 08/19 – World Humanitarian Day
- 08/24 – National Waffle Day
- 08/25 – National Burger Day
- 08/25 – National Banana Split Day
- 08/26 – Women’s Equality Day
- 08/26 – National Dog Day
- 08/27 – Just Because Day
- 08/28 – Rainbow Bridge Remembrance Day
- 08/30 – National Beach Day
- 08/31 – Eat Outside Day
As always, we appreciate you more than you could ever know, and we hope your weekend is peace-filled and relaxing.
If you’re a subscriber we’ll be dropping in your inbox tomorrow. If not, we’d love to have you and can’t wait to share even more next week!Until next time, I’ll see you on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest.