Happy Friday from the front porch sweet friends and thanks so much for spending time with us today as we celebrate our 250th post of this series!
Welcome to September!
I can clearly remember waking up just before Memorial Day truly delighted to unofficially kick off the summer season.
I imagined me and my sisters spending time at our childhood home, Loblolly, helping my Mom transition the walls from buttercream to a warm white.
We’d give the whole place, decorated in my Mom’s signature palette of mostly creamy whites, French Grays, and wood tones, a total refresh.
A private retreat space and restoration house that served our family well, standing at the ready to welcome us home, any time we needed.
But as sometimes happens, my parents came home from Martha’s Vineyard, we left for the cabin, celebrated my Dad’s birthday, and Father’s Day, and before we knew it, it was the 4th of July.
After that life filled in the blanks for us.
And even though it was not what I had originally wanted or even envisioned, as we get ready to unofficially kiss the season goodbye, I realize it was exactly the summer I needed.
It’s been such a good one I can honestly say for the first time in a long time, I’m not ready to let summer go.
The thing I’ve learned about letting go though is once you release the thing you’ve been holding onto, it leaves your hands wide open to receive something new.
And while new might not be what you want, it could be exactly what you need.
Cheering you on as you welcome a fresh month filled with endless possibilities and opportunities.
A Few of Our Favorite Things From Around the Web This Week…
This beach house is really pretty.
How beautiful is this Inn & Spa?
Don’t miss this interview and these amazing tablescapes by Mrs. Alice.
The Season of Reinvention with Whitney English (a fun listen if you want to know more about the author behind our September Book of the Month)
Can’t wait to make these adorable yarn pumpkins from Donna and Rich!
Decorating our front porch for Fall is one of my favorite ways to celebrate the season. I’ll definitely be taking a cue from Rachel this year. She shared 15 Ideas for Fall Decorating Outdoors, Porches & She Sheds this week and there is a ton of inspiration!
Speaking of inspiration, have you seen Jen’s pos, Vintage Inspired Fall Decor yet? I pinned it all!
How beautiful is Anna’s fall entry table? All those fabulous layers of texture just scream warm and inviting! right?
Words to Live By…
Third Quarter Books of the Month and Devotional…
(Amazon affiliate links have been provided for your convenience. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Any sales made through such links will support us with a small commission at no extra cost for you. You can read our full disclosure policy here)
- July: How Are You, Really? by Jenna Kutcher (A book that feels like a pep talk from your cooler older sister!)
- August: Minimalista: Your Step-by-Step Guide to a Better Home, Wardrobe, and Life by Shira Gill (Completely made me rethink the kinds of things I bring into our home which has really helped us cut excess and clutter)
- September: A More Beautiful Life: A Simple Five-Step Approach to Living Balanced Goals with HEART by Whitney English (This book is completely different than any goal-setting book I’ve ever read. I’m having to slow myself down so I can savor each chapter and let the words really sink in – it’s such a good one!)
- Devotional: Courageous Joy: Delight in God in Every Season by (in)courage (this study has helped me start and end the day on a joy-filled note, even with all the curveballs life has thrown our way)
On the Menu this Week…
Week of September 4th – September 11th
- 09/02 Friday: Labor Day Charcuterie
- 09/03 Saturday: New England Lobster Roll with zesty fries
- 09/04 Sunday: Easy Freezer to Oven Chicken Parmesan with an Italian side salad and crusty loaf
- 09/05 Monday: 25 Labor Day Recipes for a Mouthwatering Cookout Meal
- 09/06 Tuesday: Quinoa Enchilada Bake
- 09/07 Wednesday: Fall Chopped Salad with Spinach, Butternut Squash, Apples, and Cheddar
- 09/08 Thursday: Healing Chicken and Rice Soup
- 09/09 Friday: Fried Cabbage Sausage Skillet
- 09/10 Saturday: French Onion Chicken with roasted veggies
- 09/11 Sunday: Easy Beef Brisket with potatoes au gratin and broccoli
Sweet Treat to Try This Week…
Late Summer Inspired Finds We Spotted Online at Amazon and Target This Week…
(Amazon and Target affiliate links have been provided for your convenience. As an Amazon and Impact Media Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Any sales made through such links will support us with a small commission at no extra cost to you. You can read our full disclosure policy here)
If You’ve Missed Anything from the Blog Recently or the Archives, Here’s a Peek At What We’ve Been Up To…
September Bucket List…
- Celebrate September Milestone Birthdays and Special Occasion Events
- Celebrate Labor Day with Shrimp Rolls
- Fly the Flag for Patriot’s Day
- Pick Apples at the Cabin
- Grab a PSL at Starbucks
- Create a Fall Bucket List
- Decorate the House for Fall
- Decorate the Porch for Fall
- Make a Courageous Choice Daily (even if it’s a mirco one)
- Read the Book of the Month
- Keep Sundays Sacred
September Simplified and Organized Home Challenge…
Focus of the Month: Fall Planning and Seasonal Activities
- 09/03 Create Fall Bucket List
- 09/10 Transition Seasonal Items Into Closets (coats, sweaters, ski gear, sports equipment)
- 09/17 Order or Purchase New Planner or Calendar
- 09/24 Review Family Holiday Calendar & Set Family Doctor Appointments
TCG Housekeeping Notes, Dates to Remember, and Upcoming Posts…
- 09/01 National Food Bank Day
- 09/05 Labor Day (US)
- 09/06 National Read a Book Day
- 09/09 Stand Up to Cancer Day
- 09/11 Patriot Day
- 09/11 National Grandparents Day
- 09/12 National Day of Encouragement
- 09/17 National Clean Up Day
- 09/17 Oktoberfest
- 09/21 National Chai Day
- 09/22 First Day of Fall
- 09/22 American Business Women’s Day
- 09/22 National Ice Cream Cone Day
- 09/23 Native American Day
- 09/23 National Pot Pie Day
- 09/25 National Daughters Day
- 09/25 Rosh Hashanah
- 09/26 National Pancake Day
- 09/26 Love Note Day
- 09/29 National Coffee and National Starbucks Day
As always, we appreciate you more than you could ever know, and we hope your weekend is peace-filled and relaxing. We can’t wait to share even more with you next week!