Late last week, my Mom and I were on our way to Renningers when my sweet aunt called with some heartbreaking news.
The whole situation has been so unexpected and so tender we’ve had a hard time processing it all because it caught us totally and completely off guard.
If you’ve followed along for any length of time you know we have an extraordinarily close family.
My parents and my grandparents all came from big farm families and their legacy of fostering tight-knit bonds continues to live on in the 3rd, 4th, and 5th generations.
As I’ve been fielding calls and text messages from concerned loved ones, I’ve honestly struggled to find the right thing to say.
And as someone who has always relied on her gift of words, it’s been difficult to know how to offer comfort and support during this time.
But that’s the thing about large families, you know?
There are plenty of opportunities to climb beautiful mountains together.
Yet equally as many opportunities to sustain each other through valleys of despair.
They bond us too.
When I don’t know what to say or do, or even what to pray for, I know what I can be.
I can be a source of hope on a dark day… a torch bearer to light the way… someone who offers grace instead of judgment…a person who prays for strength, wisdom, and mercy…someone who is gracious after an “I’m sorry”…someone that spreads kindness instead of gossip…the one who shows up when asked yet offers space when needed…someone with an understanding heart…and someone who offers love in the face of unimaginable fear and uncertainty.
So as we prepare to celebrate Thanksgiving, I encourage you to think about the gifts you can bring to your family and friends this holiday season.
You don’t have to have a loved one in ICU to bring them.
Gifts of hope, love, strength, kindness, light, and prayer can be offered at any time.
You simply have to be bold enough to bring them.
A Few of Our Favorite Things from Around the Web This Week…
Beautiful Home and Garden Tours:
- Everything about this mountain home from Rhea Crenshaw Interiors is perfectly cozy.
- Speaking of cozy, have you seen this holiday hunting lodge via Veranda yet? It’s gorgeous.
- I revisit this post, Deck the Stalls, from MidwestLiving Magazine every year because my Mom loves it so much. It’s such a classic!
- Copper and burgundy are not colors I would have thought to put together but this gorgeous home tour from Sanctuary Home Décor makes a stunning case for both!
- Wait until you see all the French Country Christmas ideas, Rebecca put together. They’re so pretty.
- I loved all of the simple and festive Christmas centerpiece ideas Jen shared. Especially, the gingerbread houses.
- Only Rachel could make hot glue ornaments look this good!
- Love Emily’s take on DIY mercury glass ornaments too.
- These Christmas Tree Decorating Ideas and Trends for 2023 via Jenna Sue Designs are all so beautiful!
Health and Wellness Inspiration:
- 7 Habits of the Most Productive People (via Intelligent Change)
- 99 Positive Morning Affirmations You Can Use Daily (via The Good Trade)
- 150+ Good Conversation Starters (via The Everygirl)
- 13 Outfits That Epitomize French Style (via InStyle)
Simple Pleasures and Little Luxuries:
- Bauble Bar has such a fun and festive holiday collection this year.
- This shirt would be so cute monogrammed or customized.
- Just when I didn’t think they could possibly put a bow on one more thing I saw this.
If You’ve Missed Anything from the Blog or the Archives Recently, Here’s a Peek At What We’ve Been Up To…
Organizing the Week Ahead…
Words to Live By:
Dates to Celebrate and Commemorate:
- 11/23 National Day of Mourning
- 11/23 Thanksgiving Day (US)
- 11/24 Black Friday
- 11/25 Shop Small Saturday
- 11/27 Cyber Monday
- 11/28 Giving Tuesday
Weekly Simplified and Organized Home Challenge Task:
- Finish Christmas Shopping/Naughty or Nice List
3 Simple Ways to Celebrate the Season:
- Give Loved Ones or Trusted Neighbors the Gift of Time by Babysitting the Littles So Their Parents Can Christmas Shop
- Host a Cookie Swap, Favorite Things, or Gift Wrapping Party
- Spray Lavender or Deep Sleep Mist on Your Pillow at Night
Foodie and Hostess Gift Ideas We Spotted Online at Amazon This Week…
(Amazon affiliate links have been provided for your convenience. As an Amazon and Impact Media Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Any sales made through such links will support us with a small commission at no extra cost to you. You can read our full disclosure policy here)
As always, we appreciate you more than you could ever know, and we hope your weekend is peace-filled and relaxing. We can’t wait to share even more with you next week!