Today, we’re sharing our painted hutch makeover in New Concrete from The Crowned Goat Cottage as part of Week 3 of the One Room Challenge.
If you’re new here and need to catch up you can read all about our painted floor, trusses, and shed update in Week 1 here and our painted table, chairs and shed update in Week 2 here.
I can hardly believe we’re already at Week 3 and halfway through this project!
This week I’ve mostly concentrated on all the pieces of furniture we plan to use and how to make them as efficient as possible.
It looks like there is SO much room to play with when things are empty.
But oh my gosh, you guys, the minute you start bringing in all the furniture you realize very quickly that if you don’t have your priorities nailed down you risk having the space feel cramped and chaotic.
One thing I know we really need to utilize is shelving.
That way we can creatively display supplies and the treasure hunted finds (read overflow) we use throughout the year for seasonal vignettes.
As I’ve mentioned previously, we blew the bulk of our budget early on in the building process. So, I’ve had to shop the house and our garage for pieces of furniture we could use in the shed.
For the past few years, we’ve been using this hutch in the garage to hold spray paints and paint supplies. While it served us well in the garage, I also knew it would make a great shelving system in The Crowned Goat Cottage too.
In my former life as a vendor in several antique malls, I used this hutch as a display piece in one of my booths.
I had to dig way, way, way back in The Crowned Goat archives to find a picture but the giggles were totally worth it.
As you can see, despite the complete lack of styling, the shelves offer plenty of room for supplies and treasures, so I think it’s going to be a great fit.
Since the hutch was backed with a simple canvas drop cloth to make it easier to change out the displays at the store, the first step was to remove the canvas backing.
Then I used a medium bristle brush to remove dirt, debris, loose paint chips, and cleaned the shelves with mild dish detergent and warm water.
My original plan was to paint the piece with Americana Décor Chalky Paint in a color called Yesteryear. But the minute I applied the first stroke of paint, I knew it was too purple-blue-gray to work with the rest of the color palette.
I decided to paint the hutch in a Valspar color called New Concrete instead which is the same color as the shed’s painted floor.
Here’s a look at how the two different colors looked against the workstation countertop. They’re both pretty but the New Concrete stole my heart immediately.
I used two coats of paint on the hutch shelves and allowed plenty of drying time between each coat.
Then I backed the painted hutch with a sheet of ¼ plywood we picked up at Lowes for about $16.
I had no plans to paint the plywood because I really liked the original color. But against the painted hutch, the plywood had a slightly reddish tint.
So, I gave the entire piece of plywood a color wash with water and Valspar’s Faint Maple. Faint Maple is the same color I used on the trusses.
Then I lightly sanded the color wash with 220-grit sandpaper.
To be perfectly honest, S said she couldn’t even tell I had painted the plywood which was exactly what I was hoping.
I think keeping the color neutral and highlighting the wood grain is going to make a really pretty backdrop for everything from black and white photos to pieces of ironstone.
My Mom will be here to help me over the next few days, and I couldn’t be more grateful. She always does a great job styling shelves.
Given we’re working on the garage, the guest bedroom, guest bathroom, and prepping for the holidays all while trying to finish this challenge, I could definitely use an extra set of hands.
Hopefully, we’ll be able to create multiple zones within The Crowned Goat Cottage.
I would love to have a worktable, a place to write posts and answer emails in a desk zone, a place to craft and put together vignettes, and chairs to sit and relax too.
Right now, it feels like fruit basket furniture turnover and things are getting tight already but they’re all on my wish list so I hope we can make it work.
Until then, I’m going to work on finishing the base of the workstation this painted hutch in New Concrete will be sitting on.
Fingers crossed we’ll be able to make the budget-friendly porch posts work as counter height table legs. I’ll keep you posted!
Be sure to check out all the fabulous progress the other One Room Challenge contributors have achieved so far!Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest.
Other Posts Related to The Crowned Goat Cottage Makeover:
- ORC – Week 2 – The Crowned Goat Cottage
- ORC – Week 1 – The Crowned Goat Cottage
- The Crowned Goat Cottage Shed Update
- The Crowned Goat Cottage Metal Shed Plans