We’re sharing 27 Simple Ways to Hygge at Home as part of the Cozy Winter Home Blog Hop hosted by the always creative Amber of Follow the Yellow Brick Home.
If you’re coming over from Michelle’s blog, Thistle Key Lane, welcome, we’re excited to have you here. Doesn’t she come up with the most fabulous ideas?
Cozy Winter Home Inspiration…
Recently, my sisters and I found ourselves sitting in the lobby of the ER waiting to hear how my Dad was doing.
The flu had made its way around our family over the Christmas holiday.
And while we’d all gotten better, my Dad was still struggling weeks later.
Honestly, the flu is such a common thing we had no idea how dangerous it could be for people his age.
We also had no idea the flu could be a gateway for other things like pneumonia or bacteria that create “superbugs.”
In a matter of hours though, we found ourselves educated on all those things.
Given my Dad laughs about something every day, I thought I would keep it light when it was my turn to sit with him and my Mom in one of the triage rooms.
“If you didn’t want to make my birthday cake you should have just told me,” I teased him.
He gave me a weak smile and whispered, “Don’t worry, the minute I get home, I’ll get started.”
As the hours in the ER stretched into days in the hospital his feeling of wanting to be home, never waned.
In fact, I don’t think he’s ever appreciated the feeling of home more.
So, as we work to make sure he has everything he needs to make a full recovery, I thought I would share simple ways to hygge at home in case you’re facing a similar situation.
What is Hygge?
If you’re unfamiliar with the term hygge it’s a Danish word that refers to creating an overall sense of contentment and well-being through cozy and comfortable surroundings.
It’s also about being intentional with your day and focusing on the things that matter most to you.
Simple Ways to Hygge at Home…
- Elevate your living spaces with cozy pillows and blankets
- Add multiple layers of textures throughout your house
- Set a relaxing mood with candles, lamps, and other soft lighting devices like dimmers or smart bulbs
- Create a library, a cozy reading nook, or refresh your bookshelves
- Don’t save the good stuff for a special occasion – every day is a gift – use it today!
- Stock up on comfort foods like soups, stews, and chilis
- Bake bread
- Create a hot drink station you can enjoy each day
- Enjoy your fireplace
- Spend time in nature and get some fresh air
- Find ways to incorporate hygge into your self-care routine
- Make your home smell good with simmer pots, candles, or essential oils
- Listen to your favorite record or create a seasonal playlist
- Decorate with natural elements
- Add soft, comfortable clothes to your wardrobe
- Spend quality time with your friends and family
- Take a break or detox from technology
- Display the items you love most or that have sentimental value
- Eliminate or minimize visual clutter
- Donate those items you merely “liked at the moment”
- Create a calm environment by decorating with neutrals
- Layer your room with rugs
- Embrace little luxuries and simple pleasures
- Create a warm and inviting front door area
- Use natural wood
- Add cozy gathering areas both indoors and out
- Live intentionally
Embracing a Hygge Lifestyle…
While you may not have a loved one recovering from illness right now, it’s still important to create spaces in your home that rise to meet life’s occasions.
After all, our homes set the stage for how we live, laugh, love, communicate and celebrate.
So, as the glitter of the New Year begins to fade and we prepare to fully embrace the winter season, I hope you’ll find simple ways to hygge at home.
Because one of the best gifts you can give yourself is to slow down and savor the opportunity to rest and reset.
A Few Hygge at Home Inspired Finds We Spotted Online at Amazon…
(Amazon affiliate links have been provided for your convenience. As an Amazon and Impact Media Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Any sales made through such links will support us with a small commission at no extra cost to you. You can read our full disclosure policy here)
Cozy Winter Home Blog Hop…
Next on the Cozy Winter Home Blog Hop is my sweet friend Shelley of Calypso in the Country. I know you’ll love all her winter decorating and entertaining ideas.
Once you finish there, be sure to check out the rest of the fabulous ladies on the cozy winter blog hop.