Welcome to our 52 Weeks to a Simplified and Organized Home Challenge!
We’ve recently updated this post for 2021 based on your feedback. We’ve moved several tasks around to make things easier to manage during busy seasons. As well as, creating a focus for each month allowing you to move at your own pace!
I can’t tell you how excited we are to start this challenge with you again this year.
The hustle and bustle of the holidays and the new year can be so intense it’s really easy to get off track and let things slide.
No judgment here at all if you’ve found yourself in that situation! We’ve found ourselves behind at times too.
About the 52 Weeks to a Simplified & Organized Home Challenge
This challenge is not your typical challenge. We just want to make that clear, upfront.
Of course, we’ll be asking you to go through your cabinets, address the mess under the beds, tackle your garage and stacks of paper clutter, and lots of other things.
Our ultimate goal though is to help you create a simplified, organized, and clutter-free home you and your family can enjoy all year.
Setting Realistic Goals
While we would love to carve out time to declutter and organize every space in our home in 30 days, that’s just not our reality, you guys.
We lead very full, busy lives with constant interruptions and demands on our time just like you.
It’s one of the biggest reasons we’ve decided to break these tasks down by the week.
That way, we can look at our schedule and decide if we can devote 15 minutes or more a day to each project or if we’ll need an entire day to declutter, simplify and organize each task.
Some of the items on this list might not take you very long at all.
For example, it would take maybe 3 minutes to organize my purse and wallet.
But my garage? It’s so bad it could take WEEKS!
Honestly, that’s the beauty of this challenge, you can customize it to meet your needs and your schedule.
In order to do that though, you’ll need to remember the keys to success.
Keys to Success for the 52 Weeks to a Simplified & Organized Home Challenge…
Key #1 – Decide You Can:
This is going to be a lot of work, but we want you to know you can do it!
In order to complete this challenge and stay the course for 52 weeks, you need to make up your mind – right now– that you and your home are worth the effort.
Key #2 – Declutter by Letting Go of Items that:
- Are broken or are no longer being used
- Do not have a proper home
- No longer serve your needs or the needs of your family
- Are mentally weighing you down or you no longer love
- Clothes/accessories that no longer fit your personal style or your body
- Home décor and accessory items that no longer fit the decorating style of your home
Key #3 – Contain and Store Items by Giving Them a Proper Home:
Things will start to get so much easier when both you and your family know immediately how and where to put things away.
Contain and store items by using:
- Clear Bins
- Clear Jars
Key #4 – Tame and Maintain Simplified & Organized Spaces by:
- Making and taking the time to properly put things away or to go through those baskets/bins as soon as you start to see them getting cluttered.
- Taking home only what you need or have a specific place for which includes things that are “free” (conference pens, flyers, sample products, etc.) or are a “good deal.”
- Asking yourself, “If I had to move or downsize today, would I take this item with me?”
- Being an intentional shopper when you are grocery shopping, clothes shopping, or shopping to decorate the spaces in your home.
- Only Handle It Once (OHIO) means picking up after yourself throughout the day and placing items back where they belong.
- Having a solid game plan for things like paper clutter, arts, and crafts your kids bring home, unexpected gifts, and other random items.
Key #5 – Get an Accountability Partner:
Developing simplified and organized living habits is a mindset and a lifestyle change you’ll be challenged to address each week.
There will be times you might slip up, get off track, or not feel like decluttering your spaces.
And when that happens, you’ll need a pep talk from your accountability partner. That way, you can pick yourself back up, give yourself grace, and get started again.
You are worth the effort!
52 Weeks to a Simplified and Organized Home Challenge Guidelines:
- This list is meant to be a guideline for activities that can help you simplify, organize, and declutter multiple areas of your life. It can be easily customized to fit your needs throughout the year. Especially, if a specific date doesn’t work well for your schedule, you finish a task early or you need more time than what has been allotted.
- If at all possible, I wouldn’t allow yourself to get more than 2 weeks behind or off track. If you find yourself off track at all, simply pick back up the following week and get started again.
- I highly encourage you to let go of “someday” items. As in “someday” I’m going to…make a quilt…finish that scrapbook….give that tiny bookcase a makeover…craft that Christmas gift…frame that old poster. You know which “someday” items you’re holding onto and we do too! If you don’t have a solid plan in the next few weeks to tackle a specific project with those items – let it go.
- If you plan to hold a yard sale with your home décor or clothing items, set a date, organize, tag, and designate a collection space for only those items that are going to be resold. Taking care of those tasks will save you time in the long run. Otherwise, you’re just moving piles of clutter from one room to the next.
- Donate gently used items and recycle as much as you can each week. If you plan to donate items, give yourself a specific day each week you’ll drop the items off at the donation center. That way, they’re not cluttering up your front door.
Here is a look at the schedule we’ll be using over the next 52 weeks…
52 Weeks to a Simplified and Organized Home Schedule:
(click on the image to print pages)
We’ll probably write all of these tasks and dates down in our planners.
But we also want to be able to visually see what kind of progress we’re making each month which is why we have a 52 Weeks to a Simplified and Organized Home Checklist for you too!
Just click on the image and it will take you directly to the checklist, so you can print it out on heavy cardstock.
52 Weeks to a Simplified and Organized Home Checklist:
(click on the image to print)
As we shared above, feel free to customize and work through the 52 Weeks to a Simplified & Organized Home Challenge at a pace that best fits your schedule.
We’ve found, especially during this season of life, it’s much easier to handle one task each week than a task each day.
But we encourage you to do what is best for you!
If you find yourself struggling to stay on track or need an extra push or motivation as the weeks turn into months, please reach out and let us know how we can help you be successful.
If there is one thing we’ve learned over the years, it’s that intentional goals are accomplished little by little over time.
Always remember, you can do this!
You are absolutely worth the effort it will take to complete this 52 Weeks to a Simplified and Organized Home Challenge.
Bonus, you will be creating a home you and your family can enjoy all year.
We can’t wait to share our progress with you, to hear your stories, and to cheer you on along the way!
A few other organization posts you might enjoy:
- 10 Tips for a More Organized Life
- Our Favorite Home Organizing Essentials
- How to Organize a Kitchen Desk
- How to Make a DIY Dry Erase Board
- Pantry Organization Tips Made Easy