Today, we’re excited to share how to create a budget-friendly shed workstation as we head into Week 4 of the One Room Challenge.
If you’re new here and need to catch up you can read all about our painted floor, trusses, and shed update in Week 1 here our painted table, chairs, and shed update in Week 2 here and our painted hutch in New Concrete in Week 3 here.
Progress from Week 3 to Week 4
I’m happy to report things are moving right along thanks to my Mom and bestie S. We were able to put a huge dent in our project to-do list last week which feels really good.
The only drama we ran into was having to move the painted hutch twice because it didn’t look good in the spot I had originally envisioned.
I don’t know how much the hutch weighs, but my guess it’s at least 65-70 pounds.
Truthfully, it was one of those moments where you sort of cringe because you know you’re about to inconvenience people you love for the sake of not settling, and for a split second, you wonder if it’s even worth it.
In the end though, despite a few bruises, we all decided the new spot was the best choice. I still have some work to do on it, but it’s going to look amazing when it’s all finished.
Creating a Budget-Friendly Shed Work Station
With the hutch issue mostly settled, I decided to turn my attention to creating a budget-friendly shed workstation this week.
Making sure I had a large workstation to craft, put together vignettes, paint small projects, and work on display details for shoots was non-negotiable from the very beginning.
The shed actually came with a built-in workstation which was a huge blessing.
And as we were insulating and building up the walls inside The Crowned Goat Cottage, it came in handy every day.
My original thought was to pour a concrete countertop.
But I wasn’t sure how concrete would hold up in the Florida heat with a 100-pound painted hutch on top.
Then I thought about using the extra boards we had leftover from installing the shiplap to plank the top of the workstation.
But visually that felt like a lot of horizontal lines.
I also thought about caulking the seam to make it look like a single piece of wood, then painting it all one color.
The seam was there because plywood usually comes in 8 ft sheets and the workstation is almost 10 ft. So, there was a big gap between the boards.
But painting it just didn’t feel right either.
Settling on a Countertop
In the end, it was actually S who found the marble laminate countertop at Lowes. And I was smitten immediately!
We had the countertop delivered and cut it to size on-site using the tools we already had on hand.
The installation was harder than I expected because the shed’s built-in workstation was not level at all.
We definitely made it work.
Being completely honest though, I had to repaint the shiplap in multiple spots because we scratched up the walls, there was an unfortunate chip repair needed in the new countertop, and “I’m sorry” sundaes were necessary all around that day ?
It was a mess at the time but that’s all part of learning and DIY.
Creating Counter Height Table Legs From Deck Posts
After the marble laminate countertop had been installed, I realized I had less than $30 left to complete this portion of the project.
I really wanted to make the budget-friendly shed workstation look like a piece of furniture though.
Since counter height table legs start around $30 each and I needed 2 of them, I knew that option would be a go-no-go.
So, I strolled through the aisles of Lowes to try and make it work without sacrificing too much of the European garden house vibe I had envisioned.
While we were looking at exterior stairs, a project to be completed in Phase 2, I noticed some deck posts nearby.
They had a similar feel to the table legs on the DIY office work island we’ll also be bringing into The Crowned Goat Cottage and were only around $14 each.
I could not believe it!
Painting the Workstation Table Legs in Faint Maple
To keep everything consistent, I painted the apron of the budget-friendly shed workstation the same color I painted the back of the hutch and the trusses, Valspar’s Faint Maple.
And once the paint was dry, I sanded with 220-grit sandpaper because the wood has some really pretty lines and age to it.
I also painted the deck posts turned workstation legs the same color.
Then I dry brushed a bit of gray paint to the curves of the post and once they were completely dry,
I brushed a little dark and clear wax along the curves of the legs to create some patina.
S secured the legs to the budget-friendly shed workstation table using screws and our cordless drill.
And once they were in place, we called it good to go!
I still can’t get over the way everything turned out.
Truthfully, I’m beyond thankful to have a space like this to stretch out after so many years of working at the kitchen table.
Oh my gosh, you guys, it’s all starting to come together as we head into Week 5.
Fingers crossed the lights arrive soon. The single lightbulb you see above is the only light I’ve had to work from this entire time!
Be sure to check out all the fabulous progress the other One Room Challenge contributors have achieved so far!Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest.