Happy Friday, sweet friends, I’m so glad you’re here. Welcome to October!
This week has been such a strange week – I don’t even know how to describe it.
To be perfectly honest, it felt like one of those whirlwind kind of weeks where you don’t know which would be most helpful…a long talk over venti pumpkin spice lattes or tacos, and margaritas.
I know I’ve said, “I DON’T EVEN KNOW WHERE THIS WEEK HAS GONE!” passionately out loud way too many times
But as with our Encouragement of the Month post, deep down, I know exactly where the time has gone.
It’s gone in long phone calls with my Mom and sisters taking care of estate business to make future decisions and family planning easier. It’s been spent on a fact-finding mission that caught us off guard, listening to opinions, tender moments of silence, defining boundaries and expectations, trying to get on the same page, forgiving decisions made years ago, and at the end of the day being truly grateful for the opportunity to change things now.
Yesterday I read a quote from Ashley Brooke that said, “You are currently living out at least one answered prayer.”
Let that sink in for a second.
There will be days we feel like we’re running from one problem to another completely weary from reactively putting out fires instead of proactively chasing our dreams.
Don’t let the messy days scare you though.
Those are the days where growth is most fertile.
They are rich in grace and offer an opportunity to listen to ourselves and each other in a fresh way. To lean into what we need most while at the same time celebrating just how far we’ve come.
Our progress will never be perfect but timing is everything.
Even when it comes to living out answered prayers.
A Few of Our Favorite Posts from Around the Web this Week…
Everything about this beautiful Alabama lake house is on point.
The Southern Living Idea House never disappoints, and this year’s tour is no exception!
This Minnesota Classic Cottage looks like the perfect place to snuggle up and enjoy the season.
And since I seem to be in a blue and white mood this week, don’t miss this gorgeous beach house by CeCe Barfield
How cute is this laundry room? That wallpaper, right?
Love this fresh take on a blue and white Fall tablescape.
Speaking of white pumpkins, how adorable are these baby boos?
This Fall flower arrangement is stunning!
French Style Fall Outfits that are totally doable and super cute too!
The perfect sweater for Halloween if you want to be festive, not spooky.
I finally found pink-ish heirloom pumpkins so I’m using this post from my friend Niky, How to Preserve Pumpkins to Make Them Last Longer, to help preserve them.
Words to Live By…
Friday Q & A…
When I don’t have time to read a full blog post, I like to catch up on your IG posts. But it seems like you’ve been posting a lot less lately, what gives?
A few months ago, Instagram placed me in timeout for a few days and gave no reason at all for the move. I literally could not figure out what I had done to warrant timeout because my account is considered relatively small and I had not done a single thing differently that day than I had on any other day.
The whole experience really forced me to analyze how much time I was spending on IG each week trying to grow my account. I immediately questioned if it was even worth it to keep trying because it’s a lot of extra work for IG to be able to lock you out of your own account without warning and for no reason.
I know social media is important in the blogging industry though, so I’ve started posting 3xs a week and will work my way back up from there.
Thanks so much for finding other ways to connect, I definitely appreciate it and I hope this explanation helps!
I would love to write in my journal each day but I can’t seem to stay consistent with it. Any ideas?
My best suggestion is to place your journal and pen in a desk or empty drawer in the kitchen if possible.
As you’re making breakfast or dinner pull the journals out and place them on the counter. Then at the end of each meal, (but before putting the dishes away) grab your journal and follow the prompts in the morning at breakfast or at night following dinner.
Once you are finished writing, place your journal and pen back in the drawer and you’ll be ready for the following day.
The reason I suggest doing it this way is that most people eat at least one meal at home and if you attach a new habit (daily journaling) with a habit you already have established (eating breakfast or dinner at home) you’re more likely to stay consistent with it.
If you don’t eat your meals at home, you could also try the same idea with your morning coffee!
Books of the Month…
**(Amazon Affiliate links have been provided for your convenience. Any sales made through such links will support us with a small commission at no extra cost for you. You can read our full disclosure policy here)
- October: Feels Like Home by Marian Parsons comes out on October 12th! You can find this week’s giveaway on Miss Mustard Seed’s blog here. The launch date for On Purpose by Tanya Dalton has been pushed back to October 26th due to shipping delays. She’s still giving away some fun freebies though so I’ll link as soon as they’re available! It’s been so much fun to be a part of these book launch teams!
- November: Cozy White Cottage Seasons: 100 Ways to Be Cozy All Year Long by Liz Marie Galvan
- December: Dream Big by Bob Goff
On the Menu this Week…
Week of October 3rd – October 10th
- 10/03 Sunday: Goat Cheese Pasta with Spinach and Artichokes
- 10/04 Monday: One Pot Chicken Teriyaki with Vegetables and Fried Rice
- 10/05 Tuesday: Sheet Pan Taco Pizza
- 10/06 Wednesday: Autumn Apple Salad with Maple Vinaigrette
- 10/07 Thursday: Hearty Minestrone Soup
- 10/08 Friday: Autumnal Charcuterie Board
- 10/09 Saturday: One Skillet Chicken with Fiesta Cream Sauce with black beans
- 10/10 Sunday: Crescent Roll Lasagna
Sweet Treat to Try This Week…
A Few Fun Finds We Spotted Online at Amazon and Target This Week…
(Amazon and Target affiliate links have been provided for your convenience. Any sales made through such links will support us with a small commission at no extra cost for you. You can read our full disclosure policy here)
If You’ve Missed Anything from the Blog Recently or the Archives, Here’s a Peek At What We’ve Been Up To…
October Bucket List
- Celebrate My Aunt’s Last Chemo Treatment
- Decorate the House for Halloween
- Carve a Pumpkin
- Bake a Loaf of Pumpkin Bread
- Try a New Seasonal Soup
- Buy a Costume for Piper
- Attend Halloween Party with the Pod
- Watch a Movie Outside
- Help Launch On Purpose and Feels Like Home
- Buy a Cable Knit Sweater
- Read the Book of the Month
- Keep Sundays Sacred
October Simplified and Organized Home Challenge…
Focus of the Month: Fall Planning & Seasonal Activities
- 10/02 Pet Cabinet and Supplies
- 10/09 Garage, Attic or Basement
- 10/16 Holiday Travel Plans
- 10/23 Seasonal and Holiday Decorative Items
- 10/30 Winter or Holiday Bucket List
TCG Housekeeping Notes, Dates to Remember, and Upcoming Posts…
- 10/03 National Techies Day
- 10/04 National Taco Day
- 10/05 Do Something Nice Day
- 10/10 World Mental Health Day
- 10/13 National Take Your Parents to Lunch Day
- 10/15 National Mammography Day
- 10/16 National Sweetest Day
- 10/20 Chicken and Waffles Day
- 10/22 National Make a Dog’s Day
- 10/23 National Make a Difference Day
- 10/26 National Pumpkin Day
- 10/29 National Cat Day
- 10/31 Halloween
As always, we appreciate you more than you could ever know, and we hope your weekend is peace-filled and relaxing. We can’t wait to share even more with you next week!