Happy Friday from the front porch sweet friends. We appreciate you being here and making us a part of your day.
This week has been an interesting one, to say the least. I promised myself the night of Labor Day I would hit the ground running in order to capitalize on the final month of this quarter.
But fate had other plans because my sweet rescue Piper started throwing up about 2 minutes after she woke up Tuesday morning and bless her heart she has been sick all week.
In a moment of aggravation that was in no way directed at Piper, I said, “Ughhhh I just want to have ONE normal day.”
Sensing my frustration, my bestie S put on the kettle and plated up my favorite shortbread cookies.
Minutes later she was standing in my office, “There is no such thing as a normal day, so stop wishing for one. Each day is supposed to be different,” she said.
“Besides, the day is only as good or as bad as the value you assign to it. Eat up and regroup, then find the little wins. It will all work out.”
Needless to say, I spent the rest of the week mining for gems and little wins. It wasn’t easy but everything did work out in the end.
It’s really easy to get stuck in the, “Here we go again” mindset, isn’t it?
Especially, when our days are constantly interrupted.
Maybe you feel like you’re putting out little fires all day instead of getting things done.
For me, it was a sick pup, a technical issue, a laptop that required extra support, thunderstorms that threatened and canceled fall photo shoots, and unexpected doctor visits.
For you, it might be a flat tire, a bill you forgot to pay, a call from your child’s school, a grumpy spouse, or a miscommunication that requires extra cleanup.
Rest assured even during those frustrating moments, small changes do add up and make a difference. So, breathe it out and simply start again as many times as you need.
You’re doing a much better job than you give yourself credit for.
A Few of Our Favorite Things from Around the Web This Week…
There are so many beautiful spaces in this home tour. The pantry and craft room alone will have you swooning.
Bria Hammel is working her magic again, and I’m in love.
I can’t get over this bathroom makeover. It’s gorgeous.
Speaking of makeovers, have you seen this dresser yet? It totally blew my mind!
What about these DIY Marble Shelves?
The Fly Fishing Lodge that will have you ready to head out west.
This is such a warm and inviting fall tablescape.
How beautiful are these fall-inspired container gardens?
This new collection is calling my name!
How to Use the Five Love Languages to Improve All Your Relationships
(There’s a chart at the beginning of this post that is really, really helpful)
Words to Live By…
Third Quarter Books of the Month and Devotional…
(Amazon affiliate links have been provided for your convenience. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Any sales made through such links will support us with a small commission at no extra cost to you. You can read our full disclosure policy here)
- July: How Are You, Really? by Jenna Kutcher (This book will make you dig deep and ask the important questions)
- August: Minimalista: Your Step-by-Step Guide to a Better Home, Wardrobe, and Life by Shira Gill (Love the way Shira walks you through each step, room by room)
- September: A More Beautiful Life: A Simple Five-Step Approach to Living Balanced Goals with HEART by Whitney English (This book completely changed the way I prioritize each day!)
- Devotional: Courageous Joy: Delight in God in Every Season by (in)courage (Digging into this book each morning helps me start the day off on the right foot!)
On the Menu this Week…
- 09/18 Sunday: Cauliflower Gnocchi with Asparagus, Chicken Sausage, and Pesto
- 09/19 Monday: Egg Roll in a Bowl
- 09/20 Tuesday: Chicken Enchilada Soup
- 09/21 Wednesday: Autumn Kale Salad with Apples, Goat Cheese, and Fennel
- 09/22 Thursday: Jerk Chicken Bowls with Pineapple Black Bean Salsa
- 09/23 Friday: 21 of the Best Pot Pie Recipes to Celebrate National Pot Pie Day
- 09/24 Saturday: Greek Style Baked Cod with Lemon and Garlic and Roasted Vegetables
- 09/25 Sunday: Eggplant Casserole
My Recipe for School Lunches (in case you need some new ideas already)
Sweet Treat to Try This Week…
Green, Rust, and Neutral Inspired Finds We Spotted Online at Amazon and Target This Week…
(Amazon and Target affiliate links have been provided for your convenience. As an Amazon and Impact Media Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Any sales made through such links will support us with a small commission at no extra cost to you. You can read our full disclosure policy here)
If You’ve Missed Anything from the Blog Recently or the Archives, Here’s a Peek At What We’ve Been Up To…
September Bucket List…
- Celebrate September Birthdays and Special Occasion Events
- Celebrate Labor Day with Shrimp Rolls
- Fly the Flag for Patriot’s Day
- Pick Apples While at the Cabin
- Grab a PSL at Starbucks
- Create a Fall Bucket List
- Decorate the House for Fall
- Decorate the Porch for Fall
- Make a Courageous Choice Daily (even if it’s a micro one)
- Read the Book of the Month
- Keep Sundays Sacred
September Simplified and Organized Home Challenge…
Focus of the Month: Fall Planning and Seasonal Activities
- 09/03 Create Fall Bucket List
- 09/10 Transition Seasonal Items into Closets (coats, sweaters, ski gear, sports equipment)
- 09/17 Order or Purchase New Planner or Calendar
- 09/24 Review Family Holiday Calendar & Set Family Doctor Appointments
TCG Housekeeping Notes, Dates to Remember, and Upcoming Posts
- 09/17 National Clean Up Day
- 09/17 Oktoberfest
- 09/21 National Chai Day
- 09/22 First Day of Fall
- 09/22 American Business Women’s Day
- 09/22 National Ice Cream Cone Day
- 09/23 Native American Day
- 09/23 National Pot Pie Day
- 09/25 National Daughters Day
- 09/25 Rosh Hashanah
- 09/26 National Pancake Day
- 09/26 Love Note Day
- 09/29 National Coffee and National Starbucks Day
As always, we appreciate you more than you could ever know, and we hope your weekend is peace-filled and relaxing.
That said, we’re headed up to the family cabin to do a wellness check and to celebrate a milestone birthday so our posts will be interrupted just a bit.Until next time, I’ll see you on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest.