Spring 2017 ORC Participants Favorites

Slightly Coastal-reveal-dining-room-black-chandelier-white-wood-shiplap-beach-fixer-upper-style-settee-36-2

Have you guys had a chance to look through all the Spring One Room Challenge reveal posts yet? There were 254 guest participants and so many fabulous makeovers. I swear each Challenge gets better and better. Here’s a peek at a few spaces I know you’ll love…

The $12 Library Hutch

Library Hutch Makeover-10

One of the pieces we were most excited to use in the bedroom makeover was the $12 library hutch. I knew as soon as I saw the hutch it would make a great place for books so I asked my bestie S to put “feet” on the hutch so it would look like a more intentional piece. The only problem was feet were made from pine. Here’s a peek at how we married these two looks…

Master Bedroom Makeover: Sources & Budget Breakdown

ORC Master Bedroom Makeover Source List-Thumbnail

From start to finish we completed the One Room Challenge in six weeks. Those weeks were filled with everything from ripping out the carpet and stenciling the floors to adding architectural elements with board and batten to shopping estate sales and thrift stores to pull together accessories and finishing details. As with any makeover, there are so many factors that went into completing these projects, so, I thought I would give you a peek into our shopping sources and budget breakdown…

Before & After Console Table: Using Dark Wax as a Stain

Using Dark Wax to Cover Orange Pine-16

A few weeks ago, my mom was back in our hometown and found a console table she said was “slightly orange.” We had been looking for a slim lined table for the bedroom makeover and the one she found had all the right measurements. Honestly, when she sent me a picture the orange colored table, it didn’t look that bad. But once I picked it up from her, it all made perfect sense. Here’s a look at how we used dark wax as a stain and transformed a slightly orange console table into a warm and rustic desk…

TV Armoire to Functional Wardrobe Makeover

TV Armoire Makeover-16

I’ve been meaning to paint the TV armoire for almost 3 weeks but there was something about the paint color on the weathered nightstand that wasn’t jiving with the rest of the room and it was totally throwing me off. Well, this past week inspiration finally struck and I was able to get them both finished. Here’s a peek at how we transformed an armoire meant for the TV into a one stop wardrobe and solved an ongoing problem along the way….

ORC Progress Update: Week 4

ORC Progress Update Week 4-10

Well, the week I was most worried about – Week Four – has all but come to an end…and I survived….cue Cool and the Gang! Here’s a look at the progress we’ve made on Week Four of the One Room Challenge…

How to Stencil a Concrete Floor Like a Pro

Easily Stencil a Concrete Floor-18

Of all of the projects related to the master bedroom makeover, stenciling the concrete floor was the task I was most excited and also the most nervous about. I’m happy to report we finished this project in plenty of time and it’s totally fabulous! Here’s a look at how we completely transformed the bedroom floor with the help of Royal Design Studio Stencils…

Prepping a Concrete Floor for Stenciling

Thumbnail

Thank you guys so much for all of your sweet words of support and encouragement from our post on the One Room Challenge Week Three Progress Update. They helped me to keep going when I had to spend the day ripping out the rest of the carpet in the bedroom. It was so much work but we finally made some headway and prepped the concrete floor for stenciling. Here’s a behind the scenes look at that part of the process…

ORC: Week Three Progress

ORC Progress Update Week 3-7

I was heading out to the store early Monday morning to stock up on supplies. I was on the phone with my mom when I heard myself say, “There’s a chance we’re not going to make it. I don’t know how we’re going to pull all of this off. “Here’s a look at the progress we’ve made for Week 3 of the One Room Challenge…

Painted Dresser in General Finishes Lamp Black

Lamp Black Painted Dresser-10

When we first started planning the elements of the bedroom for the One Room Challenge, we were fairly certain we would be keeping all of the furniture. As soon as we decided to paint a few of the pieces, I immediately thought about Lamp Black for the dresser. I fully understand black can be a tough sell but I could not stop thinking about how amazing the rich color would look when given a chance for change. Here’s a look at how Lamp Black completely transformed the dresser…

Creating Faux Bronze Hardware in 3 Easy Steps

Faux Bronze Hardware in Three Easy Steps-16

I spent a good portion of last Thursday morning painting a ten drawer dresser for the One Room Challenge bedroom makeover. As soon as I finished painting, I knew immediately I would have to do something about the silver hardware. So, I headed to our local big box craft store and found some knobs that would work. The only problem was they weren’t exactly what I needed. Here’s a look at how we married new knobs with old back plates and created a faux rubbed bronze look in 3 easy steps…

A $30 Window Upgrade

Budget Friendly Window Trim-8

Before we started all of the festivities from the weekend we managed to accomplish a few things on our project list for the One Room Challenge including a $30 window upgrade. Here’s a peek at how this simple upgrade changed the look of the windows…

ORC Update: Week Two Progress

ORC Progress Update Week 2-1

This week…you guys…what a week! I don’t really even have the words to adequately convey what this week has been like because it’s been THAT all over the place. There have been so many changes to our original plan. Here’s a look at our One Room Challenge progress for week two…