Happy Friday from the front porch! I hope your week has been a good one and you’re enjoying all the good things October has to offer.
As you can imagine, it’s been a very quiet week here after losing Filbie. I’m so thankful I worked ahead a bit because I feel like I’ve been on autopilot all week and I know my decisions have been foggy at best.
We’ve spent most of the week telling stories about how much we miss him, Tally, and Jelly, ignoring the empty dog bowls and dog beds strategically placed around the house for him, planting flowers in the memory garden, crying at the most random things, and finding comfort in all of your sweet words of support, encouragement, and love.
They meant more to us than you could ever know, and we appreciate each and every one of you so much.
We had a few other unexpected surprises this week too. The mums on the front porch started blooming like crazy!
This guy stopped over on his way to the feeding grounds at the marsh.
The ospreys and hawks have been taking turns hanging out in the tree just off the sidewalk,
and Terabyte moved a few feet further from home.
She is really tiny still (about the size of my palm) and Filbie used to follow her around the yard so it’s been fun to watch her “graduate” to new digs this week.
Every day I’m thankful we chose to develop only an acre of our property so we could experience these gifts of nature.
A Few of Our Favorite Posts from Around the Web this Week…
This company has such a stunning portfolio
Another gorgeous portfolio filled with tons of inspiration.
How you would like to wake up every morning with this view?
I’ve never wanted to live closer to a golden field more, seriously so beautiful!
Kate Marker is such a genius and the Leo Cottage is proof why!
Super excited to follow along on this project. It looks amazing so far!
This DIY craft closet makeover is such a pretty one.
Speaking of makeovers, have you seen this before and after yet?
With that said, super curious to hear what you think about this trend?
This sweatshirt is perfect for Fall
And these pajamas are super cute too – those mugs, right?
Quote of the Week and Free Printable…
Watching This Week…
Beyond excited to watch Studio McGee’s new show on Netflix on October 16. If you haven’t had the chance to watch the official trailer yet check it out here.
Also, how much fun does this holiday rom-com look?
Podcast of The Week…
I’m a huge fan of Christy Wright’s faith-based podcast and show. Don’t Let This Steal Your Joy was exactly what I needed to hear this week.
Self-Discovery Journey: Books We’re Reading…
**(Affiliate links have been provided for your convenience. Any sales made through such links will support us with a small commission at no extra cost for you. You can read our full disclosure policy here)
I’ve been learning a lot and savoring the easy to read chapters of our Book of the Month. The way she approaches holiday decorating is kind of blowing my mind. Let me know what you think if you’re reading along too!
HERE’S A LIST OF THE BOOKS WE’LL BE READING FOR THE REST OF THE YEAR IN CASE YOU WANT TO GO AHEAD AND PICK THEM UP TOO…
- November – Present Over Perfect: Leaving Behind Frantic for a Simpler, More Soulful Way of Living
- December – Year of Yes: How to Dance It Out, Stand In the Sun and Be Your Own Person
- January – The Home Edit Life: The No-Guilt Guide to Owning What You Want and Organizing Everything
IF YOU’VE MISSED ANY OF OUR OTHER BOOKS, YOU CAN FIND THEM HERE:
- September – Eat That Frog: 21 Ways to Stop Procrastinating and Get More Done in Less Time
- August – Love Does
- July – The Art of Showing Up: How to be There for Yourself and Your People
- June – Get Out Of Your Head: Stopping the Spiral of Toxic Thoughts
- We also added, Be The Bridge: Pursuing God’s Heart for Racial Reconciliation
- May –The Lifegiving Home: Creating a Place of Belonging and Becoming
- April – Rhythms of Renewal: Stress and Anxiety for a Life of Peace and Purpose
- March – The Next Right Thing: A Simple, Soulful Practice for Making Life Decisions
- February – The Compound Effect
- January – You Are the Girl for the Job: Daring to Believe the God Who Calls You
On the Menu this Week…
Week of October 11 – October 17
- 10/11 Sunday – Easy No-Boil Pasta Bake
- 10/12 Monday – Soy Sauce and Brown Sugar Grilled Salmon with grilled veggies
- 10/13 Tuesday – Sheet Pan Taco Pizza
- 10/14 Wednesday – Sweet Potato, Pear, Pomegranate, and Spinach Salad
- 10/15 Thursday – Hearty Minestrone Soup
- 10/16 Friday – Autumnal Charcuterie Board
- 10/17 Saturday – One Skillet Chicken with Fiesta Cream Sauce with black beans
- 10/17 Sunday – Crescent Roll Lasagna
Sweet Treat to Try This Week…
Stocking Stuffer Ideas We Spotted Online at Amazon This Week…
**(Amazon Affiliate links have been provided for your convenience. Any sales made through such links will support us with a small commission at no extra cost for you. You can read our full disclosure policy here)
This year, I’ve made a concerted effort to try and automate as many small decisions as I possibly can after experiencing a longer than usual season of burnout.
After feeling unmotivated for an uncomfortable amount of time, I finally decided to stop working in yoga pants and get a work from home uniform to see if it would help.
I can’t say that I feel 100% back to myself but it’s definitely made a huge difference to feel put together without a lot of effort each day.
For my work from home uniform, I bought this pack of tee shirts, (I’m wearing a large and they shrink a bit) these jeans that I loved way more than I thought I would (I’m wearing a 12), and these $9 loafers all from Walmart.
These Walmart items are not affiliate links, I just wanted to share in case you need an inexpensive uni too.
grabbing a cardi for a quick dinner out,
or running to the post office to drop off a package I always feel put together.
Truthfully, dipping my toe into a WFH uniform has made me want to create a capsule wardrobe that actually works for the body I have now (thanks – pandemic pounds and corona curves ?) instead of the body I dream of having “one day.”
What can I say, it’s the little things!
If You’ve Missed Anything from the Archives or the Blog, Here’s a Peek at What We’ve Been Up To…
52 Weeks to a Simplified & Organized Home Challenge …
Here’s a look at what we’ll be working on in the month of July as part of the 52 Weeks to a Simplified & Organized Home Challenge …
- 10/03 Pet Supplies
- 10/10 Garage, Attic or Basement
- 10/17 Holiday Plans (including travel plans)
- 10/24 Seasonal Decorative Items-Christmas
- 10/31 Winter Bucket List
Thank you again for all your love and prayers as we work through our grief. As always, we appreciate you so much and we hope your weekend is peace-filled and relaxing. We can’t wait to share even more with you next week!
Sending thoughts and prayers to everyone on the Gulf Coast! I know this hurricane season has been really tough on you.Until next time, I’ll see you on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest.