Today, we’re sharing cleaning and organizing tasks you can complete in 5, 10, 15, 20 or 30 minutes!
The day after Easter we begin our annual tradition of spring cleaning and organizing. We choose this day to begin each year because it finally feels like a lull between busy holidays where we can be fully focused on getting things done. It’s also a great time of year to begin decluttering and preparing your home so you can fully enjoy late spring and summer adventures without having to worry about all the tasks that accompany a good spring cleaning and organizing sesh.
While we normally tackle our tasks by category and room, this year we’ve decided to change things up and tackle items by the amount of time we have in our schedules to devote to completing each task.
As you guys know, we’re constantly on the run and know so many of you guys are too. Sometimes, just the thought of having to add one more thing to the to-do list is enough to stress you out especially when you have a lot on your plate already.
So, in an effort to simplify tasks we know we need take care of we’ve devised a spring cleaning and organizing task list based solely on how long each task could take. There’s a free printable at the end of this post to help you keep track of your spring cleaning and organizing tasks too.
Here’s a look at the spring cleaning and organizing tasks you can completely customize to meet your current schedule…
5 Minute Tasks
- Make your bed with fresh linens.
- Make a to do list and highlight your top three priorities.
- Shred bills, documents, or mail you no longer need.
- Label a box or envelope to keep 2018 receipts and tax documents organized.
- Sort through old pencils, pens and markers and throw away any that no longer work or donate the ones you no longer need.
- Clean your purse or work bag.
- Return a text or email you’ve been putting off.
- Clean your phone, tv remote and other electronic devices that are used often.
- Delete apps on your phone you no longer use.
- Delete photos on your phone you no longer want.
- Wipe down the bathroom counter.
- Wipe down the bathroom sink.
- Wipe down the bathroom mirror.
- Clean your make up bag.
- Clean your make up brushes.
- Empty the trash bins in the bathrooms.
- Clean the toilet.
- Wipe down one door.
- Scrub the kitchen sink.
- Freshen up the garbage disposal.
- Declutter and stack plastic containers used for lunches and food prep.
- Empty the trash in the kitchen.
10 Minute Tasks
- Organize the top of your nightstand.
- Organize your purse or work bag.
- Purge any expired cosmetics.
- Clean out your car.
- Sort through and organize the mail on your countertop.
- Straighten up frequently used drawers.
- Declutter under the kitchen sink.
- Deep clean the microwave.
- Deep clean your cooktop.
- Clean your coffee pot.
- Clean and sharpen knives.
- Freshen up and vacuum carpets and rugs.
- Clean ceiling fan blades.
- Clean air vents.
15 Minute Tasks
- Declutter and organize one junk, desk, or kitchen drawer.
- Create and organize folders for documents you use on a regular basis on your desktop, laptop, tablet or phone.
- Declutter your email in box.
- Clean off your desk.
- Declutter your books, magazines and catalogs.
- Clean out your medicine cabinet.
- Clean out your spice drawer.
- Create a menu for the week.
- Wash a window.
- Create size specific bedding packets (bedding packets are when you put a flat sheet, fitted sheet and pillowcase inside the matching pillowcase so that each set is contained all together)
- Scrub and disinfect trash bins.
- Clean blinds and window treatments in one room.
- Sanitize and seal cutting boards.
20 Minute Tasks
- Clean out expired food from your pantry.
- Clean out expired food from your refrigerator.
- Sort through items in your closet to donate.
- Put away seasonal items like winter coats, sweaters, shoes, etc.
- Wipe down all the surfaces in one room.
- Wipe down appliances.
- Clean out your oven.
- Clean out your dishwasher.
- Replace bulbs, filters and batteries in smoke alarms.
- Clean out the fireplace.
- Refresh plants in pots.
- Sweep away cobwebs from the front or back porch.
30 Minute Tasks
- Organize your pantry by category and clean/wipe each shelf/bin.
- Organize your refrigerated by category and clean/wipe each shelf/bin.
- Organize your closet by category and color.
- Organize your linen closet by category.
- Deep clean floors.
- Flip all mattresses.
- Launder pet beds and linens.
The exciting part of this extensive list is you can use it to keep track of your cleaning and organizing tasks all year long not just for the spring season. You can also customize it to your family’s schedule the way you actually live. I completely relate to the fact that none of us has time to set aside an entire day for cleaning & organizing any more.
House cleaning can definitely be overwhelming at times but I’ve come to appreciate that small steps and consistent habits can lead to big impacts. Before you know it you’ll be making cleaning and organizing progress all over the place.
See you guys back here tomorrow. I’ll share the daily habits we practice that keep our house 15-minutes from company is coming clean! Until next time, I’ll see you on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest.