Several years ago, I was standing graveside listening to the haunting sounds of Taps, when the son of a fellow military family turned to me with tear-filled eyes and said, “This never gets easier, does it?”
Struggling to find words of comfort and encouragement, I said the only thing that came to mind.
“I know some people say, ‘Time heals all wounds,’ but I’ve come to realize it’s actually love that stands in the gap between loss and time.
Time gives you perspective.
But love is what shows up when you need it most.”
It’s hard to believe this weekend is the 20th anniversary of 9/11. My life is so completely different now than it was back then, I barely even recognize it.
For the families of the almost 3,000 killed, and the 6,000 who were injured, it undoubtedly feels as raw as it did the day it happened though.
I think we can all attest, the journey to navigate grief and loss is not an easy one. It’s deeply personal, and at times complicated and overwhelming.
While it may have been the tragedy of a nation to unite and call us to action, it’s in the small moments we collectively choose to step up for each other that will ultimately sustain us.
Lifting up Gold Star families and those who lost loved ones on 9/11.
May love show up when you need it most, today and every day.
A Few of Our Favorite Posts from Around the Web this Week…
This commercial was created in honor of the 10th anniversary of 9/11 but it still gets me every time I watch it. Bring your tissues Mom!
The fabulous portfolio of Rikki Snyder (I could get lost for hours studying her style)
There are a lot of beautiful spaces in the Estacada House but the office would be such a cool place to work.
I would have never thought to place pops of red around this house but they’re so pretty!
There is so much inspiration in this laundry room.
This beautiful tablescape has me all kinds of ready for Fall!
A longevity expert shares the diet, exercise, and sleep rules that are non-negotiable for a longer-stronger life.
Words to Live By…
Listening to This Week…
Anytime, I start to feel like I want to belly up to the bar at Waffle House and carb load, I know I need to go for a walk, settle on the porch swing with a good book, phone a friend or listen to music.
It’s been kind of bananas this week but this praise and worship song, “Evidence” by Josh Baldwin and Dante Bowe has been helping me keep things in perspective and reminds me to look for goodness and truth.
Books of the Month…
**(Amazon Affiliate links have been provided for your convenience. Any sales made through such links will support us with a small commission at no extra cost for you. You can read our full disclosure policy here)
- September: Living the Simple Luxurious Life by Shannon Ables and Paul David Tripp New Morning Mercies
- October: On Purpose by Tanya Dalton and Feels Like Home by Marian Parsons
- November: Cozy White Cottage Seasons: 100 Ways to Be Cozy All Year Long by Liz Marie Galvan
- December: Dream Big by Bob Goff
On the Menu this Week…
Week of September 12th – September 19th
09/12 Sunday – French Onion Chicken
09/14 Tuesday – Easy Tamale Pie
09/15 Wednesday – BBQ Chopped Chicken Salad
09/16 Thursday – Vegetarian Black Bean Soup
09/17 Friday – The Ultimate Mediterranean Bowl
09/18 Saturday – Creamy Spinach and Artichoke Salmon
Sweet Treat to Try this Week…
A Few Fun Finds We Spotted Online at Amazon and Target This Week…
(Amazon and Target affiliate links have been provided for your convenience. Any sales made through such links will support us with a small commission at no extra cost for you. You can read our full disclosure policy here)
** Indicates additional colors or options available when this post was originally published
If You’ve Missed Anything from the Blog Recently or the Archives, Here’s a Peek At What We’ve Been Up To…
September Bucket List…
- Celebrate September Birthdays
- Celebrate Labor Day with Shrimp Rolls
- Fly the Flag for Patriot’s Day
- Enjoy Being a Part of Miss Mustard Seed’s Book Launch Team
- Try the New Apple Crisp Macchiato from Starbucks
- Create a Fall Bucket List
- Decorate the House for Fall
- Decorate the Porch for Fall
- Make a Courageous Choice Daily (even if it’s a mirco one)
- Schedule a Sisters Zoom Meeting
- Read the Book of the Month
- Keep Sundays Sacred
September Simplified and Organized Home Challenge…
Focus of the Month: Fall Planning & Seasonal Activities
- 09/03 – Fall Bucket List
- 09/10 – Transition Seasonal Items (coats, sweaters, ski gear, sports equipment)
- 09/17 – Purchase New Planner and Set Goals
- 09/24 – Family Calendar & Set Family Doctor Appointments
TCG Housekeeping Notes, Dates to Remember and Upcoming Posts…
- 09/11 Patriot Day
- 09/11 Lifestyle of Love Blog Hop
- 09/12 National Day of Encouragement
- 09/12 National Grandparents Day
- 09/15 Yom Kippur
- 09/18 National Clean Up Day
- 09/22 First Day of Fall
- 09/25 National Daughters Day
- 09/26 National Gold Star Mother’s and Family Day
- 09/26 National Pancake Day
- 09/28 National Voter’s Registration Day
- 09/29 National Coffee and National Starbucks Day
As always, we appreciate you more than you could ever know, and we hope your weekend is peace-filled and relaxing. We can’t wait to share even more with you next week!